KiteLife Forum

Virtual Rant

riffclown

There is no joy in a virtual kite festival for those that don't do social media..  I just found out one of my favorite events will be "virtual"   I didn't even bother to ask why. Can't even bring myself to care about it. Further, my usual flying fields are off limits to me right now.

I understand social distancing and I'm in a higher risk group. But kite Flying outdoors is generally pretty well distanced. I detest Facebook and I'm not willing to give my personal information to them. That is why I'm not there. Same answer pretty much for the other social platforms.

So my entire kite season is a bust.. I have 17 kites in my bag that no one outside of Kitelife and a few select friends have really even seen. I've done bridle tests but except for the swirling field and under the trees they've never really flown. Only one other event on my calendar this year and I'll have to work that weekend so no joy there..Probably won't happen anyway, it's outdoors and who wants fresh air any more.

• Like 2

Cheer up man, we're all bummed that all the festivals are cancelled. I feel the same.  Most of the places where I fly locally are locked up. I try to make the most of it flying at the sports complexes when theyre not busy, but they've started soccer and softball back up so it's kinda a bust now.

I'm glad I got to go to the South Padre Island Festival before all the shutdowns. I met up with my parents "that are winter Texans" for SPI and introduced them to Team kitelife. I'm glad they got to see how great the kite community is and why this is a thing we all love. I took the trip for granted at the time, but now I'm glad I got the chance to introduce more people to kites. In this time of isolation, I enjoy the virtual festivals and the positively they convey. I think many people need to connect.

All of your builds and posts are an inspiration and positive motivation for all of the people on this forum. You've created your own virtual festival in the kite making thread. Your the man! 

A little video from last weekend , flying under my super sled.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DTill said:

Send something to me I'll  fly the thread off of it. You have my address.

But I don't get flying time that way. Just for discussion's sake, I will ask which kite you'd like to borrow though..

Well the only solution to your dilemma is to buy a few more kites.......SERIOUSLY!!!

0 wind glider kites....there ya go. There are a great variety of them and you can fly anywhere from your living room to where you do your bridle testing..... Mr. Barresi also has a fine small dualie that doesn`t need much room...etc etc

There were folks who made mini revs many moons ago....some probably still do. I used to have some decas as well....I`m mentioning this because of your kite making skills pix/vidz.

I am extremely fortunate in my kite "field" only succumbs to tides, however those ocean breezes are not sometimes.... More often than not these daze rather than an sul Rev (1 or 1.5) or a sul dualie I`ll put up a no wind glider kite.... I also (used) to tour with iFlite kites to get my kite fix. It`s cool to be able to put a kite into a drumstick bag!!!

So there ya go.....buy some more kites...!!!

bt

I haven't bought a kite in a very long time. Last kite I bought was one of the first production Djinns. (and I do mean extrelmely early production) Other than that, I make everything I want or need. I flew one of the early Kaijus back when we had JB visit us in Corolla.

I have dozens of kites and some which have not graced these pages due to the design being unique and I don't want to share those particular ideas. I'm exclusively 4 line and not  fan of indoor but I did enjoy some serene time with a single line glider JB let me try. All of that being said, a shortage of kites is not my issue. Not being able to fly the ones I want to fly is the issue.

Changes of me buying kites right now, nearly zero. Kite parts 100%..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, photomom said:

The Governor of NC extended phase 2 of COVID  restrictions until July 17.  Lots of plans had to be postponed or canceled.

I can understand that.. I also understand it's necessary to some extent.. Just getting stir crazy wanting to fly kites. Other than bridle tests, I haven't really been able to fly since early Feb..

I guess the fulfillment of the build for me is also getting to fly and I've been sorely lacking in that dept. I love making kites and I love sharing. I guess I'm just missing the flying part a lot!! :)

and in all honesty my post was more of a rant than standing on principle.. I love the community part of kiting and that's just not the same right now.

I hear ya, and my reply was sort of in jest re buying (more) kites, as I'm sure you have a bunch...

I've come to the conclusion that my physical  "isolation" from the kiting community is sort of a blessing in a way as I can still go and fly in a couple of places within walking/hiking distance from my house, and take the appropriate kites with me for those flying spots. Even at the beach(es) close to me, like across the street, very rarely are there kites in the air except for the "running around with the plastic kite" folks who have an absolute blast. I purposely go to another spot more for safety reasons when this happens. No biggie.

I don't mind the isolation part as one of the reasons I fly kites is to savour my alone time....my "job" as a musician is very social. Now having said that I am missing my work and socializing, as this is the time of year I should be out touring festivals....with an iFlite in the stick back, a Switch in a snare drum case, and a Rev 2 with 2wrap travel fame in the hardware case.

I have a friend who is a sponsored flier and  he normally would be touring around kite fests, and also has not been able to physically connect with his team of fellow fliers. And like yourself, has a few new spiffy kites that haven't seen airtime yet. Plus of course being cautious, I haven't been able to go and hang out with him and try out new stuff. I would have to deal with ferries and the city....not....

My partner and myself help produce Art and Music fests, and although she still has admin work to do, there is a huge cultural drop....except for "virtual" stuff and like a kite fest, not the same at all.

Yep....pretty crazy times, and like yourself I have zero interest in antisocial media....except for this lifeline here. So thanks folks for all your virtual companionship!!!

bt

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tell me about it, I'm usually traveling to 10-15 events a year, the vast majority of my social circle is in the kiting world so this current situation has me feeling quite disconnected (some of the reason for my partial absence from the forum as of late)... Still figuring out how to get my proper fix and input of energy / ideas in this new world.

• Like 1

The energy behind KiteLive kind of dwindled after the really interactive folks (like yourself) started to fill up on info, I really need good interaction with the participants to cycle my own energy and excitement... I have been toying with the idea of a new podcast series since On The Line basically became the Josh Mitcheson show - power to him, but it would appear the incredible string of interviews and mixed discussions they were doing have all but come to an end.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 9:32 AM, riffclown said:

I detest Facebook and I'm not willing to give my personal information to them. That is why I'm not there. Same answer pretty much for the other social platforms.

I supersize with that.

• 1 month later...