KiteLife Forum

Level One Badass

Andy55

Great to fly. A few hours on the line with one and I wanted to buy it... Until I looked closely at the specs. 

The leading edge doesn't break down, so it is a long kite put away. While it is fine for many people it means I cannot transport it without wedging it in diagonally against the side wall. I have re-measured my vehicle a bunch of ways, diagonally, secured halfway up a wall panel, etc. Make sure it fits in your bag and vehicle. 

If you have room, it flies like a dream. Soft and gentle when you need it, and a moment later handles yank-and-spank motions as graceful commands. 

• Like 3

I will watch for that, I’m still a bit uncertain, trying to get more info, have read that some tricks like yo yo,s are hard to accomplish, and I want a kite to, learn more tricking with. I have been flying for pleasure for about twenty years but never really got to grips with tricking, apart from the basics.

I have an orange UL version of the Badass, and like it a lot -- although tbh flying has been on the back burner with the pandemic and I feel like I am going on distant memory. It has a pretty good wind range, which suits my environment and air preference. Extremely well built.

The full length single piece spars were not an insurmountable problem for me, fortunately. But when I bought it from the North American distributor I got extra leading edge and spreader spars, to simplify sourcing them. Naturally, I have not needed them, but glad to have the ‘umbrella’ ;) 

You may have seen this comprehensive review of the standard, but in case not I attach the link. There are also some videos out there.

https://v2.2.kiteclique.com/level-one-badass-standard-review/

I have read the review link, which has made me slow down a bit in purchasing another new kite.

Kites Ireland only have a gold Badass in stock, and I prefer the orange which I think only comes in the UL Version, or the Flouro green, so I am not rushing in feet first, having just had a not so good experience with the prism.

Generally in the past I have seen in the flesh or flown a kite before buying so again being cautious before shelling out my hard earned cash.

The review has left me with mixed feelings as I want to develope my tricking more, rather than just pleasure flying and dropping in the odd axle and stall,so don’t want something I have to fight with to yo yo etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm looking at the SUL version as an upgrade from a Reloaded UL- any feedback? Love the Reloaded, will let me fly if there's any wind (and a bit of work), easy, unbreakable, lovely low-wind beginner. Got nothing very light, and prefer around 2.2m, certainly at my skill level (still pretty new, just cracked Axel, more or less!) Or, possibly, Amazing?? Help!

Hi Lisa,

I actually went for a Benson in the end, bought a standard Deep Space to start, and almost straight away ordered the Deep Space UL. I am finding as a novice, the UL easier to do some tricks with, in the lighter winds it was built for.

I have to say I am so pleased with the two Benson kites I have, excellent workmanship, and not noisy to fly, I hate kites that make loads of vibration noise. I would definitely buy another Benson, probably a Superfly next.

Nice. They are indeed beautiful. I also have a DS std and a SN; get on with the DS, but struggle with the SN- bit too big for me, and way above my skill grade! Would have been better with your idea- SF UL. Built an old skool Phantom to preferred size (2.2m) on 5mm frame, and oddly is same size and weight as SF UL. Suits me well, tho stuck with original 'no leech line' so is well noisy! Slowest kite so far. Really need and SUL for those dead air days.

I did not even know that there was an SUL version of the Badass until I saw your post, which prompted looking further. I am quite pleased with my UL version, which I got from the North American distributor. I did not see the SUL yet on their site last I looked a while ago. I do see it on the German site for Level One.

I am a big fan of larger SUL kites in general as they allow majestic, typically slow flight that allow you to see the moves unfolding before your very eyes (I am fond of saying). And it allows flight *at all* at the lower end of the wind range on *those kinds of days*. It is also a welcome break from quick-flicking, don’t-blink flying. Much like I expect the Reloaded you already have. I know the standard version of your Reloaded is quite manoeuvrable from what I’ve seen and read (and I have lusted after that, too!). Assume the UL is as well. But the Reloaded is of more of a medium span at approx 77 inches. The Badass series at about 92” is considerably larger, which lends itself to slower performance in the lighter winds and compared to a medium sized kite .

Perhaps you’ve already seen it, but there is a neat video of someone flying the SUL version of the Badass -- and it even gets him a 360°/720°, without too much running! The link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYsk6ivxUxg&t=14s

And, lest I mislead someone into thinking it can’t be flicked, there’s this (note the ‘smoke’ being emitted by the nearby factory is going pretty much straight up!) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0ZwYUWCac

Thanks for the input. Yes, German site only, and now the Germans are not keen on post Brexit UK, and quite rightly, too! Right pain in the arse, though. Reloaded is an amazing light wind learner, which I definitely am, on 15m lines, spreader out, will go to almost nothing. How do LevelOne do this on their Matrix frames??? Even the Badass SUL has a 6mm spine!! Magic. Unbreakable, too. I keep considering the Amazing as well, but would sorta like the original. I posted on FB on the off-chance anyone had one...got a comment saying 'I sold mine 10 years ago, there was never little enough wind'. Sounds, well, Amazing....L 

Oh, yes, videos.... am running out of LevelOne ones! If you haven't caught it (sorry, crap at links) but go to YouTube- LevelOne Amazing 2010. There's a link somewhere on here, post on the Amazing, comment that reads something like 'if you have f**k all space to fly in'... Beautiful, especially with that music.

So do I- if I trace it I'll let you know. Edit, unbelievably, I got it 2nd try. Fritz and Paul Kalkbrenner - Sky&Sand. Appropriate. Wicked little video. While back, there was a lovely video.of Robn Evans flying a 3D to a great track...drove me potty, knew I'd heard it, but couldn't remember. Fortunately he came on a FB group and told me. 3 seed by Silversun Pickups. Dreamy to fly to in light wind.

• 2 weeks later...