KiteLife Forum

Anyone tried the Ocean Shores Kites Jinx, or the focus kites Jinx?

cjay

Is there anyone here that has firsthand experience flying the Ocean Shores Kites Jinx?

I couldn't find any reviews about it, so any feedback would be useful.

jinx_std_warm_white.jpg

Looks similar to the ITW Hydra, and Focus kites Jinx. I think they are all Paul de Bakker designed kites. 

The reviews I found for the Focus kites Jinx is that it is the more precise bigger brother to the hydra, and that it requires precise line inputs, and that the UL version is about the same with less sail pressure.

https://v2.2.kiteclique.com/focus-kites-jinx-jinx-ul-first-flight-jared-haworth/

https://v2.2.kiteclique.com/update-jinx-from-focus-kite-designs/

I am most interested in what the material and build quality is, how precise it tracks and can do figures, also how forgiving the OSK Jinx is to line inputs.

It is apparently made overseas. Andy says that the factory that makes them uses technology that makes them better quality than any hand made kite out there. Computer laser cut panels, and sewing. Supposedly there aren't other factory made kites out there made to this quality. Is it really better construction quality than custom handmade kites?

I emailed Paul about it and this is what he told me:

Me: Hello Paul,
  I have a question about a kite. The Ocean Shores Kites Jinx.
 What is the difference between that and the Hydra, and Focus kites Jinx?
 Andy says it is built better than anything else out there due to the technology at the factory he uses.
 I prefer more precise kites that are forgiving to inputs.
 Please advise,
 Thanks.

Paul: Hello, 
The osk sails are all cnc lasercut, whereas the focus jinxes were hand cut. Andy should be able to achieve higher tolerances and consistency from batch to batch and within batches. He will have an updated bridle soon (ask him about it) and the kite flies exactly the same to me a my Focus ones. The Jynx is the more precise and slightly slower kite of the two, the Hydra is its more radical little brother. Paul

Me: Hi Paul,
Does the OSK Jinx use the same materials as the Focus one and ITW Hydra?
Is the Jinx too sensitive to line inputs for an amateur to enjoy just flying directional and carving turns?
I was also considering a Badass. How does the Badass compare to the Jinx in material quality, build quality, line input sensitivity, precision, pull, and noise?
Thanks.

Paul: The Jinx definitely likes precise inputs and will reward precise flying style. The Badass is more forgiving that way but ultimately will never look as "crisp" in the sky as the Jinx. Yes, materials are largely the same, same icarex pc31 in all three and different, but same quality, frame materials. Build quality of all 3 is pretty much the same. Honestly, for the money at itw right now, the hydra is the best deal, I'd say. Paul

So there you have it.

8 hours ago, cjay said:

The Jinx definitely likes precise inputs and will reward precise flying style. The Badass is more forgiving that way but ultimately will never look as "crisp" in the sky as the Jinx. Yes, materials are largely the same, same icarex pc31 in all three and different, but same quality, frame materials. Build quality of all 3 is pretty much the same.

You will find this with most quality kites. The design will trade off features for other features. 

Precision fliers require precise input. Forgiving fliers are less precise. Stable flight is great for ballet, but terrible for tricks; unstable kites can be pulled into tricks with the tiniest flick, but won't be smooth nor good with a partner. Generalist kites in the middle for functionality are versatile but cannot stand against specialized kites. 

All can be made from great material and well crafted, just different in subtle ways. Tapered spars, standoff lengths and count, bridle differences, attachment points, subtle changes make big differences. 

I understand what you are saying. I have a few kites on my list that I might want to buy, and have been trying figure out what type of flying they are specialized for or if they are generalist kites. Since I am not able to try them first.

I am looking at the Mamba, Jinx, and Lam ITM. Thinking about the Mamba or ITM as an SUL.

I don't know what type of kite the Mamba is.