KiteLife Forum

Benson kite, which one

Andy55

I have the superfly ul and love the way it flies, its light on the lines and very responsive. I have ordered a standard superfly and I am mid way through a 6 week wait for it.

There is an good condition old spec benson gemini on ebay now thats in the UK.

Edited by davide63
additional information

The Deep Space standard and Superfly UL are both nice kites.  The Superfly Std is a bit more aggressive and not as good for someone looking to learn tricks.

I don't know whether you would want to consider an open source kits but I have two Manet 112%s and would be willing to let one go.  Big enough for you to transition from precison type flying to tricks, but tricks really nicely as well and I am UK based.

Love Benson kites. Have a number of the earlier ones as well (Reflex, BoT, Outer Space).

Of the current offerings I am somewhat more enamoured of the Deep Space, and have it in both UL and STD. Good all round kite. I just looked at the Benson site, and what’s not to like about this description: 

The Deep Space is an all-round freestyle kite that is precise, reliable and responsive, making it easy to fly and accessible to all. However, it's also capable of the most extreme tricks, behaving with a high degree of accuracy and predictability. The Deep Space excels at free-flowing flying, providing smooth transitions into, out of, and between tricks for advanced and extended combinations and seamless freestyle flying.” 

I just couldn’t resist copying and pasting that in as it describes the kite better than I can. The description is true to my experience as well. 

I also have a Superfly, which I picked up used btw. It is even trickier, and I need to spend more time on it, which I look forward to doing.

Really must dig out the SuperNova again. It is a big, strong kite that fares better in winds stronger than I favour at the moment. (sidenote: I developed golfers/tennis elbow due to too much repetitive stuff and thus my preference for lighter winds. A little more peaceful, serene, too, somehow. Subjective, admittedly.)

Hopefully you will get more opinions to help. Personal preference is so hard to describe. Try first if you can (I almost never have this luxury however). 

Added plus for you with Benson: the kites are made in the UK!

The Deep space and Superfly which are on my shortlist seem to be getting mentioned a bit more now, I have probably been edging more towards the Dark Space after also watching plenty of video on you tube. I also like the fact their are three versions, UL, standard and vented. The Superfly did catch my attention in that you can buy lighter bottom spreaders fit lighter winds, which probably saves buying the UL version for the average joe flyer. And UK based

Ya can't go wrong with any Benson kite really. Amazing kites all, and very well built! Of course different models will  have different characteristics....but it will feel like a Benson nonetheless and sometimes this is enough. (akin to that blue moon feeling....of which I am quite enamoured...)

However I didn't appreciate the Gemini and the only reason was...to me a more non trickster...it gave away basic tricks too easily.... I had a Reflex at the time and again way different kites but they were Benson's and had a feel....which was nice!!!

bt

Looking at the website  i do like the finish of the Benson kites, and the material doesn’t look slack anywhere. I have also looked at Mamba both on the web and you tube, if it wasn’t for the delivery time and cost of importing to the UK I would have ordered a Mamba a month ago. Also looked at Lam Hoek in Canada, again nice looking kites with a good finish, but $90.00 cdn for postage and long delivery due to shipping delays due to Covid. 
So I think I am going to order a Benson Deep Space, got to decide on a colour now.😊

I've been trying to figure out which Benson kite is next for me. I have 2 Geminis, and they are radical tricksters. I haven't come close to feeling comfortable with them, there's always something unexpected happening when I'm flying them. They are top notch in construction, my skills just aren't up to their capabilities. But, if I want to do something crazy like a wrapped 540, the Gem would be my goto kite.

Hi went for stock colouring, the royal blue, did try some ideas on the colouriser, but settled on the blue.

i am going to see how this goes, will probably order the UL version if I am happy with the standard. I also have a credit with a local kite shop, so waiting to see what he gets in this next week or so, it’s enough credit to go for something like an HG Infinity or Mantra with an extra bob or two. Would have liked a refund really for the Prism Hypnotist I returned with a stitching problem, but as it is I need to spend with the shop, it will either be an HQ Infinity or Mantra, but I have 5 kites for the 5-25 mph wind, so may go for the HQ Shade just to have a lighter wind kite in the bag . Think ordering the Benson has spoiled me.

• Like 1

A quick question for folks that have both UL and STD versions of the Deep Space.  I was under the impression that there is a lot of over overlap in wind range. 

Care to comment on the value of having both vs one or the other?

There is a lot of overlap on the UL and standard versions, lately I have found myself trying to fly in lighter conditions and if the standard cannot be kept in the air, I guess you have no other choice, unless you start changing spars, which would unbalance the kite, other than to go for the UL. I even looked at ordering a UL and a vented version. UL ideal 1-15 mph, and vented 8-25mph. Still some overlap, but I imagine both kites probably fly well in the middle of the wind range, UL 7mph. Vented about 15 mph. 
sometimes kite flying is like collecting models, it’s nice to have this or that version. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy55 said:

sometimes kite flying is like collecting models, it’s nice to have this or that version. 

I wish I could have them all.  Reality makes me be selective.

I have a standard, and am itching to pull the trigger on a Vent.  They seem very rare.....

On 7/22/2020 at 11:56 PM, Zuul said:

I wish I could have them all.  Reality makes me be selective.

I have a standard, and am itching to pull the trigger on a Vent.  They seem very rare.....

I can see me going for a vent in the winter, living coastal, certainly don’t suffer from lack of wind on the coast where I live.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking at the website  i do like the finish of the Benson kites, and the material doesn’t look slack anywhere. I have also looked at Mamba both on the web and you tube, if it wasn’t for the delivery time and cost of importing to the UK I would have ordered a Mamba a month ago. Also looked at Lam Hoek in Canada, again nice looking kites with a good finish, but $90.00 cdn for postage and long delivery due to shipping delays due to Covid. 
So I think I am going to order a Benson Deep Space, got to decide on a colour now.

I would have waited twice as long to get mine, and would have waited even longer if I had too. They are beautiful and you will love any of them. ACB7EAF3-17CA-4892-A7AC-01E2E8E58933.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Thanks Steve, your Deep Space looks awesome, I am looking forward to receiving mine, about half way through the waiting time now.

At the moment we are in a heat wave in the UK with light winds, I can’t get any of my present kites to stay in the air, and thought maybe I should have ordered the UL, however when I get mine next month we will have stronger winds, and I will be spending more time at my home on the coast so should be good with the Standard.

i am thinking that I may order a UL next year in time for summer.

Thankyou for posting the photo, it gives me something to look forward to.

On 8/6/2020 at 5:39 PM, John Barresi said:

I once successfully did 36 roll ups on a Deep Space, with a successful unroll. :)

I look forward to doing my first roll up, and unroll. 😃. Not got that far yet, been struggling keeping any of my kites in the air lately due to light fluky winds, joys of summer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that, trying to make me jealous. They look lovely, I did wonder whether to order a UL at the same time, it’s 5 weeks now since ordering, so should be long.

last week I was off work and struggled to fly my Jam Session, the winds were so light.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm in a similar position to the one Andy55 was in a couple of months back. I fly mainly Prism kites (my Nexus, which was my first, is still my favorite) and I'm getting to a point where my control is good, and I'm able to execute snap-stalls, wing tip landings, and recoveries on a regular basis.

I would like to step into a kite that will allow me to do start attempting tricks, and I'm gravitating toward a Benson kite. I live in a coastal area known for heavier winds, so I would like something that would be trickable in a fairly wide wind range and suitable for a flyer just now beginning to experiment with tricks.

The Superfly looks amazing, and that's what I'm gravitating toward, but I read in this thread that some people prefer the UL over the standard. I'm wondering what the rationale is for that, or if I should instead consider a different model altogether.

Thanks!