KiteLife Forum

Benson kite, which one

Andy55

49 minutes ago, Nags Head Flyer said:

Hey all, I'm in a similar position to the one Andy55 was in a couple of months back. I fly mainly Prism kites (my Nexus, which was my first, is still my favorite) and I'm getting to a point where my control is good, and I'm able to execute snap-stalls, wing tip landings, and recoveries on a regular basis.

I would like to step into a kite that will allow me to do start attempting tricks, and I'm gravitating toward a Benson kite. I live in a coastal area known for heavier winds, so I would like something that would be trickable in a fairly wide wind range and suitable for a flyer just now beginning to experiment with tricks.

The Superfly looks amazing, and that's what I'm gravitating toward, but I read in this thread that some people prefer the UL over the standard. I'm wondering what the rationale is for that, or if I should instead consider a different model altogether.

Thanks!

None are built to a higher standard than Benson.  I would put the Deep Space at the top of your list.  It is just great at everything, and no bad habits.  The SuperFly is probably more radical, and so I would think a better future purchase.

2 hours ago, Andy55 said:

I have found the Deep Space I bought to be brilliant, I don’t think you would go wrong with a deep Space, unless you like a larger kite. Tricks easier than my older kites, really is an eye opener.

Thanks for the insight! I'm glad to hear you've got no regrets with the purchase. And I'm also looking for an eye-opener. 

1 hour ago, Zuul said:

None are built to a higher standard than Benson.  I would put the Deep Space at the top of your list.  It is just great at everything, and no bad habits.  The SuperFly is probably more radical, and so I would think a better future purchase.

Thanks, this is really helpful. Would you recommend the standard, UL, or vented? Would it be a safe to assume that the standard is a good all-around choice for most situations?

18 minutes ago, Nags Head Flyer said:

Thanks, this is really helpful. Would you recommend the standard, UL, or vented? Would it be a safe to assume that the standard is a good all-around choice for most situations?

Hard to go wrong with the standard if you only get one.  It does pretty well in lower winds.  The UL goes up with a couple mph less, but has a smaller range, so you would be reaching for another kite more often.  If you are looking to learn tricks, I wouldn’t get the vented.  When the wind is up, that makes tricks harder.  The vents slow the kite down, but you still need to maintain slack.  When you are a little more experienced the vent would be great for higher wind days, but those are they days you do fewer tricks not learn new ones.

• Like 1

I have found the Standard flies down to about 4 mph on shorter lines, I have just bought a set of lighter lines at 30m. not tried them yet. I was thinking of a UL next, but not sure I need it. Build quality is second to none. It handles perfectly, got me doing more tricks than ever.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Pulled the plug on a DS UL, must be over half way through delivery time now, since I ordered it, haven’t had a chance to fly my STD because winds too strong when I am off work, mind you winds have been too strong in work as well, I am the skipper of a vessel maintaining navigational buoys etc and struggling constantly with work as well as kite flying😂😂👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

How would a deep space compare to a mamba as far as straight line tracking and snap turn pattern Flying?

i am interested in buying a deep space but have read that it is really trick oriented and twitchy, and is difficult to fly for less experienced people.

8 hours ago, cjay said:

How would a deep space compare to a mamba as far as straight line tracking and snap turn pattern Flying?

i am interested in buying a deep space but have read that it is really trick oriented and twitchy, and is difficult to fly for less experienced people.

Deep space is not built for pattern flying.  There is no comparison.  If those are your goals, the Mamba is better by a mile.  

While the Deep Space may not track like a train as a Mamba might it can certainly fly with some precision if you want it to. Much smaller hand movements but quite capable of square corners. I begin many of my sessions with The Dice and variations as a warmup and the Deep Space ain’t too shabby at it (even in my hands). Mr Benson even uses the word “precise” in describing the kite on his website. 

As has been said, the DS is a freestyle kite. It is not an unfriendly kite. It will open up doors. 

It does really depend what you are after however. But a DS may surprise you. In a good way.

Just my view.

Perhaps the OP may have a thought on it.

~~~~~

The Dice courtesy of STACK

image.png

I now have the Deap Space Standard and the UL version, if I fancy a nice leisurely straight line, turn straight line flight it does not disappoint I certainly wouldn’t rule it out, if you are worried about it being twitchy just keep to it’s designed wind strength, and I agree you won’t be disappointed. I am very pleased with mine, and I am by no means a full on trick flier.

I own both a Deep Space and a Mamba.  The question was, “how do they compare for pattern flying.”   It wasn’t “can you fly pattern with a Deep Space?”   If you’re intent is to fly pattern, there is no reason to consider a DS vs a Mamba.  Can a DS cut a corner and fly straight?  Yes.  Nobody said it couldn’t.

9 hours ago, midibot said:

While the Deep Space may not track like a train as a Mamba might it can certainly fly with some precision if you want it to. Much smaller hand movements but quite capable of square corners. I begin many of my sessions with The Dice and variations as a warmup and the Deep Space ain’t too shabby at it (even in my hands). Mr Benson even uses the word “precise” in describing the kite on his website. 

As has been said, the DS is a freestyle kite. It is not an unfriendly kite. It will open up doors. 

It does really depend what you are after however. But a DS may surprise you. In a good way.

Zuul

i was answering this quote by midibot

• 9 months later...

undecided between the Superfly and Deep Space. I'm trying to update my kite quiver with modern kitMy e(s). I'm still stuck in the early 2000's. I owned several Prism kites, Mamba, a Betancourt kite, an Aerostar Pulsar Elite and Rev's.. All these kites are from the early 2000's. I'm looking into Mamba 3 and Benson's. My choice in the Benson seems to have narrowed down to the Deep Space and Superfly, but still considering the Supernova in close 3rd. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I have been off the kiting loop for some time due to other activities taking most of my time, but now things seem to have slowed down, so the kiting bug has bitten me again.

On 9/24/2021 at 10:11 AM, Andy said:

undecided between the Superfly and Deep Space. I'm trying to update my kite quiver with modern kitMy e(s). I'm still stuck in the early 2000's. I owned several Prism kites, Mamba, a Betancourt kite, an Aerostar Pulsar Elite and Rev's.. All these kites are from the early 2000's. I'm looking into Mamba 3 and Benson's. My choice in the Benson seems to have narrowed down to the Deep Space and Superfly, but still considering the Supernova in close 3rd. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I have been off the kiting loop for some time due to other activities taking most of my time, but now things seem to have slowed down, so the kiting bug has bitten me again.

I can relate to the ‘returning kiter’ aspect, as I came back myself about 5 years ago after a hiatus. So I ‘get’ the feeling.

On the Bensons - excellent build quality in my experience. The Deep Space probably has the wider appeal as more of an all-rounder; the Superfly is quicker and more ‘flicky’. I find my SuperNova a larger, stronger feeling kite that requires relatively more in the way of hand movements than the other two, and a larger presence in the sky. But from the reviews and feedback from others, maybe not for everybody (I do like mine). Suggest googling reviews and videos and perhaps threads on here for comments that may help in your decision amongst your alternatives. Depends what you are ‘after’, which may not even be apparent until you’ve looked a bit. Or did for me...and that's part of the fun.  

The descriptions on Tim’s pages may also help, if you haven’t already done so. 

Can’t go wrong with any of them. (Where’ve you heard that before? ;) )