KiteLife Forum

Flying Wings AcrobatX Sail Tensioners?

8thelephant

Are the vertical sail tension standoffs really necessary?

I've just acquired a very well used AcrobatX and It seems to be missing the spreader standoff connectors for the two vertical sail tension standoff rods. The included rods are also too short to reach the upper spreader from the sail pockets. So are those two pieces required for freestyle and sport flying?

AcrobatX.thumb.jpg.1be4949bdefba9097b8ee4ac48d2b90d.jpg

I believe they're intended to smooth out low wind flying. I never really clicked with my acrobatx, but I think having the extra weight makes free style tricking easier. Try flying without the vertical tensioners, worst thing that happens is it won't fly.

It'll fly without them, just not how it was designed to. I would get them and try both ways. Depending on your level of experience, you may or may not notice a difference. The parts are not expensive and the originals are probably still available from Flying Wings or local kite shop.

Thanks makatakam,

I did fly it yesterday and concluded that the sails would benefit from some added tension. I tend to like my sport kites quiet with some precision, but not too twitchy. I haven't found the official flying wings parts yet but I've got a bunch of carbon/glass rods and a bag full of connectors...surely something can be rigged up :)

I might add a leech line to it as well.