KiteLife Forum

Is there such a kite?

ChetR

I live in Eagle Creek Oregon and we have wind sometimes but not even close enought to fly a kite.Im curious if anyone can tell me if there are kites that will work with little to no wind.I would like the kite to go in circles and fly around it doesnt need to do really big tricks.Im just asking because i have no idea if a kite like this is even made.Thanks for your time and for any info.

Hi Chet - Welcome to the Forum.

In the dual-line realm, my first low wind kite was a Prism Flashlight - and I still enjoy flying it. I've heard others say the Level One Easy Light is an excellent low wind kite also, and it costs around $100. I've never flown one, so I can't say personally.

For exceptionally low wind, I always pull out my Level One Amazing, but they cost over $200. I have 2 of them, and would rather fly either of them than my Prism Vapor, although the Vapor is certainly no slouch in the low wind / no wind arena. :blushing:

Thanks for the suggestions guys.Do you guys know of any online video's i can see these guys in action..Sorry i know nothing about kites are really want to get into flying them.Also i noticed some videos on youtube of indoor flying are these kites like that.I see them running around to keep the kite up.Would i have to be running around.I dont mind the arm movement but I would want to fly it without running around all the time.I hope that makes sence..Thanks again.

Indeed Chet, we'll be out at the field next to Portland International Raceway (West Delta Park) this coming Sat and Sun... Probably between noon and 4pm, maybe longer.

Lots of room, decent wind... Come on out. :blushing:

Bummer my sister and hubby are gonna be out for a full week and we mite be going to the coast I mite just have to buy a cheap under 100 dollar kite to play with at the coast..Maybe i can get them to head to portland too..Im about 45 mins from portland and 2 hours from the coast.Her hubby really wants to the see the beach here on the west coast.

For the kite here in Eagle creek im still not sure if i want to buy a low wind kite but i really want too.Is it possible to fly them without moving around alot like i see on the videos im seeing of people doing them indoors.I would really like to be able to stand in one place without running around.Thanks for any info guys and thanks for the info on the portland event.

Bummer my sister and hubby are gonna be out for a full week and we mite be going to the coast I mite just have to buy a cheap under 100 dollar kite to play with at the coast..Maybe i can get them to head to portland too..Im about 45 mins from portland and 2 hours from the coast.Her hubby really wants to the see the beach here on the west coast.

For a purchase in this area, I'd stop by The Kite Shoppe... Or call Theresa and have her go over some of the options with you. She's very knowledgable and will get you set up right, either in the store or by mail. :blushing:

If you want an indoor kite to start with... I'd recommend a Wren, it's very stable and easy to fly.

I just stepped outside and there is no wind at all.Im assuming i need one of the indoor kites to fly in no wind situation ?..every now and then you can feel the breeze blowing but nothing worth getting excited about.My question now is should i buy one that is indoors or are there other kites that will work better with little to know wind that i wont have to run around to keep it in the air.Sorry my questions seem stupid but i know nothing about kites at all.thanks again guys.

No such thing as a stupid question here, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :blushing:

Indoor kites provide ultralight abilities, versatility, and a little more durability than an ultralight "outdoor kite"... The outdoor versions are generally higher performance, but tend to be a little more fragile, requiring a gentler, more skilled hand.

Based on what I've read from you so far, it sounds like an indoor kite might be the best choice for now... Along those lines, I tend to favor the Wren and iKnack as having good lift, and for their durability.

I hope that helps. :matrix:

No such thing as a stupid question here, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :blushing:

Indoor kites provide ultralight abilities, versatility, and a little more durability than an ultralight "outdoor kite"... The outdoor versions are generally higher performance, but tend to be a little more fragile, requiring a gentler, more skilled hand.

Based on what I've read from you so far, it sounds like an indoor kite might be the best choice for now... Along those lines, I tend to favor the Wren and iKnack as having good lift, and for their durability.

I hope that helps. :matrix:

So the Wren will work outside as well without me running around like a chicken with its head cut off :w00t: ..I cant belive there is no wind rite where i live.

Yep, Wren would work.

After looking online the Wren seem to be in my price rage for my first kite.I dont want to buy anything over 200 just in case i dont like the experice flying kites..Now I just need to find one online for as cheap as i can get..Maybe even used..Off to ebay.Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.And I would love to hear anymore if anyone has anything else to say.Im sure im going to be posting a different thread if i go to the beach in less then a week..

Forgot to ask what is the best kite line string for the Wren in low to no wind ,It seems like they come in a pound ratted way like fishing line..Thanks

hello again chetr if you get the wren or anyother indoor kite rember to watch the wind range i would only fly the indoor kite between 0 to 3 mph no more then that and watch what areas you fly in i too fly in small fields and outings with my indoor kites and danger can lurk everywhere (trees water rough ground etc) be aware of how fradgile they are and youll see when you do fly that youll be able to fly in places you never could before have fun