KiteLife Forum

ITW Hydra bridle set up

Jbadallas

Hello.  I just purchased an ITW Hydra. All of the stunt kites I’ve flown (mainly Prisms) have had the bridles pretty much setup. On this one, each side has a long line that has a knot at the end of it. It knots into the line that attaches to the center spar and lower spreader.  How is the bridle supposed to be setup?  The assembly instructions only make mention of using the pigtail off of the upper spreader. Can anybody help?

• Like 1

Yeah, some of the newer kites have the extended leaders now. Part of the reason is to take the knots outside the bridle area for manoeuvres, to reduce places for lines to catch, and arguably to insulate the flying lines somewhat from wear and fraying during roll up moves. When you get that far ;)

A larks head knot attaching the flying lines will be just fine with the tiny knot.

Have fun.

Video of my kite bridle, not fully set up due to a broken spar. 

The clip shows the connection to the upper leading edge with an adjustment knot, the connection to the center, and then to the lower leading edge, and out to the leader line. Finally, the short LE tension line. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fZywNEbrnW6822LW6

My own modification was melting a hole in the end cap and threading it through the tension line so it doesn't fall off or get lost. 

14 hours ago, Jbadallas said:

On this one, each side has a long line that has a knot at the end of it. It knots into the line that attaches to the center spar and lower spreader. 

I think you are referring to the leader line. Connect your flying line to it. 

• Like 1

Also note that by being discontinued, parts are harder to come by. 

I just called ITW about a replacement spar for my kite pictured above. They told me they don't have any more of the original spars in stock, he described them as "more spiky" than normal, and it's a surprisingly expensive $60 for the generic (non-original style) spar which I would need to cut to size, plus another $14 in shipping. (In contrast, spars are often $5-$15.) I'm shopping around for replacement parts, but I'm thinking it may be cheaper to completely reframe the kite. :-(

Thanks to all.  I flew it yesterday in some pretty light winds. I was being thrown off by the really long leader lines. It looks like it will be an excellent kite to start learning tricks on. Even though it was slow because of the wind, it was much more precise than any I had flown before. It was easier to stall and invert too. Because of the light winds, I had to remove most of the weights. I’ll have to learn more on on how and when to use them. I’m pretty happy with the kite. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 3:20 PM, frob said:

Also note that by being discontinued, parts are harder to come by. 

I just called ITW about a replacement spar for my kite pictured above. They told me they don't have any more of the original spars in stock, he described them as "more spiky" than normal, and it's a surprisingly expensive $60 for the generic (non-original style) spar which I would need to cut to size, plus another $14 in shipping. (In contrast, spars are often $5-$15.) I'm shopping around for replacement parts, but I'm thinking it may be cheaper to completely reframe the kite. 😞

Ouch. The Hydra use Dynamic spars? Wonder if Paul might be able to help? Flying Wings and some HQ kites also use Dynamics. As does Lam I think. (Or did.)

Think the Kymera used Skysharks iirc, fwiw. A feasible alternative and yeah that money would go a long way towards that. And a fun lil project. May need new connectors, too, but if so not a biggie.

The leading edge, split at the ferrule, a common break. I have managed to find a source for the spars, plus some extra for future repair. It took a few phone calls, but found them at a decent price.

I love A Wind of Change. They were my local store for a few years, and I still use them for occasional mail orders. Like most surviving shops they do a great job and do all they can to help. 

In this case New Tech (my local shop now) had one spar in the back which they were happy to finally sell, and Flying Wings is shipping the rest. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 6:01 PM, frob said:

The leading edge, split at the ferrule, a common break. I have managed to find a source for the spars, plus some extra for future repair. It took a few phone calls, but found them at a decent price.

I love A Wind of Change. They were my local store for a few years, and I still use them for occasional mail orders. Like most surviving shops they do a great job and do all they can to help. 

In this case New Tech (my local shop now) had one spar in the back which they were happy to finally sell, and Flying Wings is shipping the rest. 

I just got a ITW hydra and noticed the spars, I read that the focus kites hydra had skyshark and was curious why ITW chose the dynamics.  If i have a problem ill probably just switch out to skysharks 

4 hours ago, thegoatlark said:

I just got a ITW hydra and noticed the spars, I read that the focus kites hydra had skyshark and was curious why ITW chose the dynamics.  If i have a problem ill probably just switch out to skysharks 

The Hydra is made in Asia, and Dynamic spars are much cheaper than SkyShark there.