KiteLife Forum

Prism Dyneema Flying Lines

TonUpTiger

Hello All,

If anyone can share some line knowledge with me I'd really appreciate it.

The pics below are of the line sets that came with my Prism Quantum 2 and Synapse 200. According to the Prism website, both kites should fly the same lines (150lb dyneema), but the two sets I have seem totally different in feel and diameter. The Synapse set on the left are much chunkier and less smooth than the Quantum set on the right. Can anyone tell me which set looks more like the 150lb dyneema set?

Thanks, Wayne.

IMG_1891.thumb.jpeg.93928d92551bf5c198ec4cb353c59f0b.jpeg  IMG_1888.thumb.jpeg.f075bfb745edaf5ad81079c30870f25a.jpeg

The set for the Synapse is coarser in weave because the kite is designed more for speed and power than tricks and finesse. The less expensive coarse weave is fine for that kite, but I would avoid flying the Quantum on that set as it will begin to bind up more in less turns when you spin the kite in the same direction a few times. They're probably both 150-lb(ish) Dyneema, intended for different purposes. The more coarsely braided set stretches just a tiny bit more and is therefore a bit more forgiving when flying a kite that has lots of pull and generally doesn't require extreme twisting of the lines. The finer braid of the Quantum lines makes them less stretchy and more wear resistant so they will handle the abrasion inherent to sliding over each other more forcefully and frequently. It's not quite the difference between apple and orange, but more like the difference between two varieties of apples.

Thanks Makatakam.

That makes sense, the synapse is certainly lower spec than I was hoping so it being supplied with cheaper/coarser lines fits that bill.
I’ll probably use the Quantum lines on both kites as less snags, tangles, and drag is always a good thing.

• Like 1

I wouldn't. There's not really a reason to beat up a more expensive set of lines when they won't improve the performance appreciably. You can, but the lines supplied with the kite are adequate, unless you want to spin it a lot more in one direction. You'll get an extra two or three turns before the lines start binding and that's about it. Not any other major improvement in performance.