KiteLife Forum

Help/Advice

Lulu

Those handles seem to be from the daze when Rev attachment points were metal clips...lol... They were also short(er) in relation to today's handle length(s). 

My aha moment was removing the metal clips and attaching short pigtails....I tried a couple of different leader length's and combos and...Voila!!!!....a longer one on top and a short one on the bottom.....

No confusion caused...I'm already confused and have been for many years....welcome to the club!!!

bt

3 hours ago, mebeatee said:

Those handles seem to be from the daze when Rev attachment points were metal clips...lol... They were also short(er) in relation to today's handle length(s). 

My aha moment was removing the metal clips and attaching short pigtails....I tried a couple of different leader length's and combos and...Voila!!!!....a longer one on top and a short one on the bottom.....

No confusion caused...I'm already confused and have been for many years....welcome to the club!!!

bt

Wow, I just purchased it in June. Haha

Hi Lulu,    Your leaders are way off for any control, loads of drive to take off but that,s it !

The attached pic shows my leader set up and is purely as a guide, what you are looking for is the differential between power and brake, normally this would be between three and eight inches, your sweet spot would usually fall in that area!

Have a look at JB,s tutorials and other videos taking notice of flyers handles and their leaders but best of all if you can hook up with another flyer that would have your problems sorted very quickly !

Good luck 

facebook           Dunstable-Downs-Old-Gents

BRAKE & POWER.jpg

8 minutes ago, oapbillf said:

Hi Lulu,    Your leaders are way off for any control, loads of drive to take off but that,s it !

The attached pic shows my leader set up and is purely as a guide, what you are looking for is the differential between power and brake, normally this would be between three and eight inches, your sweet spot would usually fall in that area!

Have a look at JB,s tutorials and other videos taking notice of flyers handles and their leaders but best of all if you can hook up with another flyer that would have your problems sorted very quickly !

Good luck 

facebook           Dunstable-Downs-Old-Gents

BRAKE & POWER.jpg

Thank you so much. I’m planning on ordering leaders this week. I’ve been watching videos and I’m also a member of club 38 and watching those videos. Sadly no one around here who flies other than my weekly visitor a gray horned owl. Also with the high humidity there has been no to little wind. But I’m determined but my learning curve will just be a little longer. I am hoping to go back to Myrtle Beach and I’ve called the local kite store and they said they would be willing to help me out a little. Plus the wind will be better there at least for me to get somewhat of the basics down. 
Lulu

33 minutes ago, riffclown said:

Just one note since you mentioned it. The Club38 approach and nomenclature is slightly different than conventional quad terminology. Don't let that confuse you. Use what's best for you. In the words of @Paul LaMasters, Take the best and dump the rest.

I’m actually watching videos from both and taking what makes the most sense to me. I just want to fly, need wind 💨. Haha. Thanks

someday, the wind will be a deterrent to your fun!  

Now? I prefer no wind (after decades of mid-atlantic weather, indoor conditions with an unlimited ceiling,..... for 5 months!),

True dead calm, early morning sunrises, usually on long lines too, I  just need good footing to move around safely backwards and laterally,

so lately I've been flying in closed parking lots at the soccerplex nearby my home on AUAs, 50 pound, (60, 100 & 120') skybond 

WoW Team (AUAs).jpg

6 hours ago, Lulu said:

I am hoping to go back to Myrtle Beach and I’ve called the local kite store and they said they would be willing to help me out a little.

Use a grain of salt... Most kite stores do not have anyone actually knowledgable about quads, they're usually just regurgitating (best they can) whatever the manufacturers told them - you need peer help, better off finding another pilot in your area. ;)

@Rybka?

I tend to enjoy light wind and run for cover breezes. I'm not the no wind type but I will fly when others are running for cover and putting bricks on their patio furniture.

I don't have Paul or John's wind range ability but I do have a kite for just about everything.

17 hours ago, Lulu said:

It does go up and then goes to either side and crash. However, I do believe that this is pure pilot error since this is my first Rev.

Ok cool, that helps.  I think you just need to develop the ability to counter the turns the kite is making "on its own" and then make the turns you want to make!  Videos and forums here and elsewhere, and most of all practice, will get you there.  Finding someone to help you in person is a big win, but you can still learn on your own.

However, one more thing to check - are all four lines the same length?  Have a look at JB's line equalization tutorial.  If they are significantly different, especially the two brake lines, that can cause problems.  If they are within 1/2 - 3/4 inch, that's close enough for now.

Your leaders as they are will give you a lot of forward drive (that's just how the EXP comes).  That's okay for a while, because it makes it easy to keep the kite moving forward.  But soon you'll want to do more than just fly forward, like stop, hover, and back up.  For that, longer, adjustable leaders are really, really helpful (I would say essential, but there are people who do without).  Personally, I think it's a no-brainer to buy a set or two of TK's leaders.

Starting out, I struggled for a long time trying to hover my EXP - I'd never heard of such a thing as longer leaders - until one day a passerby saw me flying (still the only other quad flyer I've met here in Phoenix).  He tied knots in my stock bottom leaders, close to the handles, and suddenly I could hover!  Shortening the brake leaders has the same effect as lengthening the tops, it's just not as convenient for most flyers - you can't get any shorter then right up against the handle.

18 hours ago, Lulu said:

So not sure where to add knots as instructed above?  Because as Windwarrior stated above that I should try to mimic his leads

You're right, until you have longer leaders for the tops, you can't really do that.  As a temporary solution, you can tie a knot or two in your bottom leaders.  Shortening the bottoms will have the same effect as lengthening the tops.

6 hours ago, DonFibonacci said:

Ok cool, that helps.  I think you just need to develop the ability to counter the turns the kite is making "on its own" and then make the turns you want to make!  Videos and forums here and elsewhere, and most of all practice, will get you there.  Finding someone to help you in person is a big win, but you can still learn on your own.

However, one more thing to check - are all four lines the same length?  Have a look at JB's line equalization tutorial.  If they are significantly different, especially the two brake lines, that can cause problems.  If they are within 1/2 - 3/4 inch, that's close enough for now.

Your leaders as they are will give you a lot of forward drive (that's just how the EXP comes).  That's okay for a while, because it makes it easy to keep the kite moving forward.  But soon you'll want to do more than just fly forward, like stop, hover, and back up.  For that, longer, adjustable leaders are really, really helpful (I would say essential, but there are people who do without).  Personally, I think it's a no-brainer to buy a set or two of TK's leaders.

Starting out, I struggled for a long time trying to hover my EXP - I'd never heard of such a thing as longer leaders - until one day a passerby saw me flying (still the only other quad flyer I've met here in Phoenix).  He tied knots in my stock bottom leaders, close to the handles, and suddenly I could hover!  Shortening the brake leaders has the same effect as lengthening the tops, it's just not as convenient for most flyers - you can't get any shorter then right up against the handle.

I ordered new leaders just now. I’ll need some advise in regards to see at what knot to set my lines at. I did equalize my lines and they were ok. 
good news there was Wind today! Sad part which was the most depressing it was y first day back to work. Seriously 😒 

• Like 1

The good news is those short leaders effectively give the kite a lot of forward drive. It is like having the gas pedal welded down and you drive by applying or releasing brakes. 

As your goal is to launch and use forward movement, they can work temporarily. You will want to learn how to use all the lines effectively both forward and back, but in the first few flights having the accelerator slammed down is a relatively minor problem. You want it to "go" and it has "go" built in. 

Watch all the intro videos again and again, then head back to the field and try to lift the kite. Since you have no helpers it will take a while and be frustrating, maybe taking three or five or more sessions before you can reliably fly.

There's a reason Rev's official "level 1" test seems so basic. Set up, launch, turn, and land. While they are basic skills for experienced pilots, they are completely new to beginners and are not necessarily easy to learn. 

There's a big learning curve, it is okay. Several great pilots tried it out, struggled, and nearly gave up. They eventually returned and found success. 

7 hours ago, riffclown said:

I tend to enjoy light wind and run for cover breezes. I'm not the no wind type but I will fly when others are running for cover and putting bricks on their patio furniture.

I don't have Paul or John's wind range ability but I do have a kite for just about everything.

That’s my goal too. To be able to fly in every kind. 

8 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

Now? I prefer no wind (after decades of mid-atlantic weather, indoor conditions with an unlimited ceiling,..... for 5 months!),

True dead calm, early morning sunrises, usually on long lines too, I  just need good footing to move around safely backwards and laterally,

so lately I've been flying in closed parking lots at the soccerplex nearby my home on AUAs, 50 pound, (60, 100 & 120') skybond 

WoW Team (AUAs).jpg

Oh that is my goal to be able to fly in no wind or indoors. When I bought my kite they told me I can fly in any weather. I’m looking forward to the day that I can fly in no wind on a short line 30’ so I can fly in my yard which is adjacent to woods but then I can relax a little more. Or fly at work in the back. I know I’m not there yet and it may take over a year to get there but it’s a goal I have. When I’m ready I’ll be asking all of you indoor flyers or very light calm no wind what kite I should buy. But please don’t break my bank account. I’ll have to save starting now.  I did order new leaders today. Will need to know at what knot to adjust to when I get them. In the meantime I live the kites you have in the photo. Very cool. Any no wind or low wind ones sitting around?? You guys have all been so helpful. Thank you doesn’t cut it. Lol 😊

10 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

WoW Team (AUAs).jpg

I recognize that floor at Flying Smiles Kites!!!