KiteLife Forum

Next kite?

NateyLB

Hi all,

New flier here. Decided to pick up a Prism Jazz to have fun at the beach one day and I fell in love with it. I have upgraded the Jazz to a Quantum 2.0 and have an ITW Hydra on the way. 
I was flying in some really light winds today and was having trouble getting the Quantum to do what I wanted so I just switched over to my Rev. What kite do I need next? I want something that I won’t outgrow in the UL range. Was thinking something among the lines fo an HQ Shadow. I want something that I can get up when nothing else will. 

There are some options, but they depend on how you fly. The Pro Dancer SUL version is the most recommended for a full sail light wind, but it does not trick. The Badass ultralight version is good for light wind tricks. Several other light wind options from other brands. If you switch from light wind to no wind, there are also options of indoor kites. 

To name a few, the 4D, Kaiju, and Echo as small indoor / no wind, the Pro Dancer SUL, Badass ultralight, Automatic Trick Machine ultralight, Prism Zephyr, HQ Shadow, R-Sky Nirvana SUL, ... Some of these kites are ultralight or super ultralight versions of a series of kites. 

Each flies differently, light wind kites are generally more specialized. I don't know any that handle both solid team flying and also do precise sharp tricks. Light wind means fragile lightweight parts, and little wind to work with. And some kites stay up in calm air but sacrifice both fancy tricks and tight performance to give light weight durability. Crashes can be expensive. 

Be sure to check their sizes put away, because one design choice is to get rid of leading edge ferrules. It saves weight and increases response, but makes for really long kite bags.