KiteLife Forum

Need suggestions for a Kite

ChetR

Howdy this is my second topic in these forums and hope I can get some great suggestions like i did with my other post.I decided to look for a wren kite for my no wind situation at home,But Im pretty sure im going to be headed down to the coast "Lincoln city" in Oregon soon.Im not sure how strong the wind is there but It seems to be pretty windy most of the time.The last time I was there there were some people having problems flying kites but i dont know if it was just them not knowing what to do.

I would like to spend 100 or less for the kite and strings and handles etc.Im assuming just a 2 stringed kite is what i want unless i should go quad not sure for beeing a newbie to the whole thing,or if quads are even that cheap..I would like the kite to be as big as possible.Some of the cheaper ones i have seen at the beach look really small,like 3 ft at the most wide..Im assuming I would want a 4 ft wide or bigger so it could be used when the wind isnt as fast etc..Thanks for any suggestions.I cant wait to go fly a kite soon..

Thanks for the link.Im sure you guys get newbies in here all the time asking the same questions..I do have a question though.In the post you linked too the Acrobatx was suggested and i noticed that on a few websites it says its Intermediate to Advanced.Im i intermediate,I have never flown one before.Im pretty sure i can figure it out as i do for most things and thats half the fun..I just dont want to buy a kite that is over my skill...

Hey ChetR...

I handed my Acrobatx to a number of beginner fliers (including me), and they instantly flew with ease. The only other kite that I have that is close is my Big Bang. I've seen it in many places with the kite, lines, and DVD for less than $100 now. It's a great flying kite, the only place it doesn't stack up to the Acrobatx is toughness. The Acrobatx seems tougher, but the Big Bang is bigger. They both stand out in my collection (flock ?) and are usually my first choice to fly.

~Rob.

Just to talk more about kites I have made my choice and its between the Acrobatx and the Big Bang.I was sure i was gonna get the Acrobatx but now im just thinking more.Im curious to what people think would do for a newbie like myself.Rob posted a good post about the 2 im just looking for anyone elses opinion on these 2 ..I dont know any tricks and probably will buy the kite at the place im going to fly it so im not gonna get to learn any tricks from a dvd.I have any wind where i live so i couldnt practice at all.Thanks again.

Also if anyone could recomend a website that I can buy from that is reputable and wont rip me off..I am thinking of getting the Acrobatx or the big bang.Also i need to buy a Wren kite also.I was thinking if i just buy it now i could get a dvd that will show me some basics.I wont be able to try them untill i go but i would have a better idea.

While on the subject of a decent kite around $100, is there any opinions on a first power kite that would be not much over $100? Having no where to try it out before bying and no one to learn from, would one do well to go with a quadline or cheaper dual line first? I'm slowly saving my pennies for some new kites hoping to eventually get a new dual line and my first ever power kite. I've been wanting a hypnotist or big bang for quite some time (since both have a dvd) but now I might do well to settle for an acrobatix. So if I get the cheaper acrobatix as my first ever decent dual line stunter, what would be the best begginers power kite under $200?