KiteLife Forum

Standoffs fall off?

NateyLB

Just got my ITW hydra and have taken it out 2/3 times. Haven’t been very aggressive in it and haven’t flown it in winds over 12mph. For some reason I just wanted to open my kite bag and the two inner standoffs just fell off, no plastic washers or anything in the bag. Has this happened to anyone before? 

Hmmm. Have not experienced it with my Hydra. 

Trying to picture it. Did the standoff rods fall out of the sail stays?  In which case a glue job perhaps?

Or the sail stays themselves become dislodged? On mine they are the screw type. (Note to self to check mine for tightness of the screws).

Any other info might help. Or pics.

On 9/3/2020 at 8:39 PM, NateyLB said:

Just got my ITW hydra and have taken it out 2/3 times.

You got to the flying field, turned around and went home? How can you tell it's 2/3 and not 1/2 or 3/4? Would that be 0.667 in decimal equivalent? Why are we doing kite math? 🤣😁🤣 (Sorry, the devil made me do it!)

13 hours ago, NateyLB said:

Back plastic washer that holds the back of the sail stays fell off. Maybe it was bigger than the screw head? I have the screw type too. Took the pieces off another kite to get flying again. 

Looking closer at mine, all four are snug - I was thinking they may have gotten loose but the way the screws seem to almost self-tap loosening seems less likely. 

Another alternative is that yours may have been over-tightened, and this could lead to a split of the upper washer, and eventual breaking off and loss. The remaining standoff assembly would then just fall out. I suppose excessive lateral forces on the standoff could also result in such a split...

At any rate replacements, if not from ITW, are also available at other sources such as Kites 'n Fun Things (Skyburner) and FlyMarket kitemaking supplies. And probably others.

At least you are up and flying again.