KiteLife Forum

New Mesh Design

riffclown

Going off the rails with a new mesh design. 72" LE. 2 colors (Lime and Black) with straight interleave. No chance to adjust and compare between sides.  I have a few hurdles to get through (like deciding if I really need 7-8 thicknesses at the corners) and a few design elements to decide on. This kite will be for 20+ winds.

20200906_183909.jpg

The main panel sewing is done. That was a bear to sew. Due to the full mesh design. Both directions ended up having to be double-stitched..

The corners currently at the bottom will be replaced with a slightly larger panel of either Green or Black to get rid of the extra material there. Still a work in progress BUT I think the hardest part is done.

I'm curious about different density of material, very sparse at top and wingtips, solid at bottom. I imagine reverse and inverted lifts will work, but I have a hard time imagining air flow for forward drives and sideways hovers. I hope it works out. 

8 hours ago, frob said:

I'm curious about different density of material, very sparse at top and wingtips, solid at bottom. I imagine reverse and inverted lifts will work, but I have a hard time imagining air flow for forward drives and sideways hovers. I hope it works out. 

I have similar concerns..

I'm also concerns about the one long strip at the corners that has no support.. they may have a lot of flutter..

The resolution will be to add a few small solid panels filling in the holes at strategic areas.. more to come.. I will try it as initially designed though first.

You can probably skip the leading edge mesh on designs like this one. I doubt it does much of anything since the wind doesn't really "dam up" against the leading edge. Would save a lot of work in the sewing of the sail. You should try it and see how you like it.

• 2 weeks later...