KiteLife Forum

WKM Sport Kite Workshop

Just sent to our mailing list:

I'm writing to announce the second 2006 sport kite workshop hosted by the World Kite Museum in Long Beach, WA... Registration for this workshop will be $30 USD for non-AKA members and $25 USD for AKA members.

Please pardon the "publication" feel of the information below, it's the same thing sent to the museum for their own distribution lists.

As a registrant for this workshop you will receive a free DVD with a variety of sport kite performances and a list of links to over a dozen invaluable trick tutorial videos by Randy Greenway, plus one lucky winner will be drawn at random from all the registrants to receive a great prize package including a performance sport kite, lines, and a one year subscription to Kitelife ($100 minimum value - full details to be announced at a later date).

I will have a limited number of kites on hand for people to use in the basic and intermediate dual line flying portions of the workshop, only one or two kites will be available for the advanced dual line flying / dual line tricks portions, and most likely only one kite for the quad line segments... People should be advised to BYOK, or Bring Your Own Kite, if possible, as well as a note book and pen.

September 16th
- 10am to 4pm

• Basic dual line
    flying
    - Launch, control, use of wind window, landing.

• Intermediate dual line
    flying
    - Squares, circles, relaunching (ground flip, sleeping beauty, leading edge).

• Advanced dual line
    flying
    - Stalls, optional landings (spin & snap), flying shapes.

• Open dual line
    flying
    - "Round table" discussion, items of interest.

• Basic dual line
    tricks
    - Fade, flic flac, axel, 1/2 axel, coin toss.

September 17th
- 10am to 4pm

• Intro to kite mods (dual line)
    - Yo yo stoppers, back up stoppers, leaders, yo yo line, use of weights.

• Intermediate dual line
    tricks
    - Cascade, K2000/Superstart, lazy susan, yo yo launch, flapjack.

• Advanced dual line
    tricks
    - Yo yo/roll up, insane, lewis, multiple yo yo, wap do wap, backspin, jacob's ladder.

• Open dual line
    tricks
    - "Round table" discussion, items of interest.

• Quad line 1
    - Adjustments, tuning, handle modifications.

• Quad line 2
    - Launch, control, use of wind window, landing.

• Quad line 3
    - Advanced control techniques.

Video cameras are allowed, and even encouraged.

Although I've set an outline set for each day, there will be some flexibility depending on the skill level and general interests of our registrants... Schedule is subject to change. In the event of unfavorable conditions, the workshop will be moved to an indoor area of the World Kite Museum for hands on "simulator" flying and discussion.

Anyone interested in registering for this workshop should contact:

World Kite Museum

360-642-4020

Also, if anyone would like to contact me for more information or with questions about certain portions of the workshop, please feel free.

My background:

A sport kite pilot since 1990, John has earned top awards in nearly every category of competition imaginable including a number of individual dual line and quad line national championships during the last 15 years, as well as qualifying for the World Team Championships in 1993, 1995 and 1997... Since March of 2005, he has revamped his skill set with a wide variety of newer "slack line" or "pitch" tricks which he has used to establish a strong presence in Hot Tricks and Tricks Party competition during the last year.

As of 8/10/06, John has earned 79 top three placings in individual and team competition categories, including
both
dual and quad line.

His organizational experience:

2006 AKA Sport Kite Committee Chair

2006 International Rules Book Committee member

2006 AKA Region 9 Director (OR, ID, MT)

Judge, 2006 World Sport Kite Championships (France)

Chief Judge, 2006 Weifang Intl Sport Kite Championships (China)

Although John enjoys and takes competition very seriously, he most enjoys sharing his experience with other fliers, traveling to over twenty events and festivals around the country each and every year... Generally providing informal workshops or one-on-one coaching, this April workshop with the World Kite Museum will mark the first time that John has taken time out of his busy schedule to offer more formal instruction to the general public.

One of John's favorite expressions is, "hey, it's just kites", his style is easy-going and friendly, so count on this beach workshop to be a laid back and enjoyable opportunity to learn more about the amazing world of sport kites from an experienced flier.

Again, anyone interested in registering for this workshop should contact:

World Kite Museum

360-642-4020

For general questions about the workshop, feel free to email me or call 503-890-0280.

When we did the last workshop on May 12th and 13th of this year, we had eleven participants and a great response from those who attended... This promises to be a lot of fun and very educational, I hope to see many of you this September!

Edited by John Barresi

• 3 weeks later...

Please note, we've made a mistake in not securing prior permission to distribute Randy Greenway's tutorials in DVD/CD form at our upcoming workshop and he has asked that I refrain from doing so. Thus, we have removed said material from our promotional materials.

However, we will be providing the URL (link) where participants can download the tutorials directly from Randy's site... His tutorials are top notch, and have been invaluable to fliers all over the country.

Thanks for your understanding.

Is this workshop for absolute beginners with nada ability? I have purchased a stunt kite but have been unable to fly it. :happybday: I have atttended the wsikf the past two years and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I was mesmerized with john's skill at last years hot tricks competition to "jump and jive." :happybday: I did not attend this years hot tricks competition. I hope to sign up asap if newbies are included. Thanks :rev_clockwork:

• 3 weeks later...