KiteLife Forum

New Flyer question

Brian Gisi

Hello. I am relatively new to quad kites and as I watch tutorials and videos on this site and other social media platforms, it appears there are two primary quad flying “styles”; longer line precision flying with an emphasis on crisp compulsory maneuvers and shorter line freestyle with more slack line and body movement. My question pertains to the preferred equipment for each style. Aside from the lines, do more experienced flyers use a different sail for each style or do you choose the sail based on the wind and personal preference? 

The basis for my question is a general observation that many of the freestyle videos I see are from flyers using boutique kites like Djinn, Detox, Polo, etc... and many of the more pattern related flying seems to be done using Revs. 

First Welcome to KiteLife.

You've made several observations but they don't necessarily line up with each other. Both the "stop and pop" as well as the slack line stuff and even freestyle can be done on both long and short lines. Urban fliers and those that fly in tighter areas tend to use short lines. Long lines can be precision or what we call soul flying.. so both styles are also both lengths. Longer lines 120's are typically used for team flying as well. Longer lines tend to give more reaction time so lend well to relaxing flight patterns..

The Djinn, Detox, Polo, Phoenix, etc. are similar to the Rev with each having individual characteristics that influence flying. Keep in mind Rev held market exclusivity for many years and only in the last few have the other designers and creators been able to market their "improvements"

I'm not knocking Rev at all Joe Hadzicki designed a great produce and wing. There are just new developments incorporated into other designs that lend themselves to different performances. ANY of these wings can be freestyle and any can also be "pattern" flying or team.. 

That was a very convoluted and drawn out way of saying, fly the style you like, with the kite you like and the line length appropriate for your space to fly in.

Venting is usually chosen based on wind conditions but outside of that everything is pretty much personal preferences.. The good news is there's really not  a wrong answer. The bad new for your pocketbook is there's also not a songle good answer but there are a lot of right  ones..

15 hours ago, Brian Gisi said:

I appreciate the insight! You confirmed my suspicions that quad flying will not offer any relief from my inclination to choose hobbies that include an expensive “collector” element. But good to know I can pick what I like and get out there. 

What are you flying at this time? You will find a need eventually if you keep flying quads, for kites that you can keep airborne in lighter and/or stronger winds than what you have now. Most avid quad line kiters will have at least two if not three different sail and frame combinations to handle different wind conditions. If you're like most who have continued to fly regularly, you may find the need for even more, as different designs offer different rewards. My quiver at present holds 14, but I could probably get by with 9. Your mileage will vary.

I currently have, and have flown a Rev EXP and a XX. I recently bought a Djinn MV but have not tried it yet. It became obvious when I was on the coast last October that multiple sails for varying wind speed is essential if I want to fly more often. My current plan is to try a few different brands while adding more wind ratings to my bag. If I find one I like more than others, I can go the set route. But, I must admit, collecting cool kites is part of the appeal for me...

• Like 1

I won't even venture what my current quiver is since it changes almost weekly. FWIW,  You'll find the Djinn to be a different animal. It literally has all the improvements Rev ignored over the years.

One piece of sound advice. Fly everything you have several times under varying conditions before making your next selection.. Know what you like and what you don't like before dropping cash on your next one.