KiteLife Forum

Broken centre spar on Revo copy

MarkL

Evening all, 

I recently bought a 2.4m Revo copy from China. On its first outing, I ensured all 4 lines were equal length, attempted launch 'right way up' in 5 - 10 mph winds. It kept falling over.... I found instruction online to launch upside down, which stopped the falling over, but having got it air-bourne I grazed a wingtip in an inadvertent touch and go manoeuvre, which split one side of the centre spar.

Obviously, not hitting the ground is the best way to not break spars, but where can people suggest I find less delicate replacements? 8mm OD, 6.5mm? ID?? 

I spoke to some local rev fliers, who suggested LE? centre spars would be all over forums, but what I was shown was 10 - 12mm.

Can anyone give me a steer? Can I replace with fibreglass? What's best for durability/cost?

Thanks, 

Mark

Mark, I see you are in the UK !  give us a clue as to where please ?  I might be able to put you in contact with quad flyers in your area.

If you can state what make/model you purchased preferably with a photo it would help.

That,s handy Mark,

That,s not a kite I recognise but we can have a look!

We fly on Dunstable Downs just about every Sunday (LU6 2GY) from about 10 am if you can make it come and join us.

A couple of hours with us and you will be saving a lot of frustration and set you in the right direction.   

facebook :- dunstable downs old gents 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oapbillf said:

Don't know what I did above.... #speshul. I'll take a drive out tomorrow am, gf's going out around 8. I've been to Hobbycraft today and bought a 3ft length of Dowl, which I intend to bore out.... Worth a bash. I'll be the guy wearing a faded orange/brown baseball cap, possibly carrying a kite roll over my shoulder... It will be nice to get some face to face.

45 minutes ago, oapbillf said:

See you in the morning then!

The forecast means vented kites are the order for the day, we have an assortment and will set up for training.  

40 minutes ago, MarkL said:

I'll be there.... 😁

Love seeing the experienced inviting the inexperienced and literally paying it forward...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, riffclown said:

Love seeing the experienced inviting the inexperienced and literally paying it forward...

Know that one. Have taught random family how to fly their delta, and chased down, and sat on a 3m foil.... At Dunstable, funnily enough...

Thanks to Bill, for letting me lose on personal kit, and lending me some longer handles. Thanks to the rest of the guys at Dunstable today. Confirmed my suspicions the Rev copy I bought wasn't all that, thanks for the improvement tips for the kite too, lines, spar repair/replacement. Definitely nothing like anything I've flown before. I'll be back with my Frankenstein'd kite soon, Covid permitting...

• Like 1