KiteLife Forum

OBX Newbie

John P

Years ago on vacation in OBX I picked up an HQ Bolero. Every summer it would get flown for a week than packed away till next year. Fast forward to 2020. I'm retired and just moved permanently to OBX and plan to expand my flying. I pulled out the old kite and made a few repairs until I can figure out a new model. I would like to work toward a quad and learn more about building kites.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed my Bolero Stack.. OBX is not a bad place to be for flying. 3 of my top 4 favorite Flying spots are there.

as @Cot51stState said, Go see Eliot and Cath up at Flying Smiles Kites in Corolla. They will put you on the right path for quads. Probably will even loan you one or two to try..

13 hours ago, Cot51stState said:

If you are anywhere near Corolla then you are in good shape. Flying Smiles Kites knows a little bit about quad line kites and I think they may have built one or two 😉

Thanks.  I'm in Southern Shores, so not far at all. I will head up there next week.

11 hours ago, riffclown said:

I really enjoyed my Bolero Stack.. OBX is not a bad place to be for flying. 3 of my top 4 favorite Flying spots are there.

as @Cot51stState said, Go see Eliot and Cath up at Flying Smiles Kites in Corolla. They will put you on the right path for quads. Probably will even loan you one or two to try..

I'll check out Flying Smiles next week. What are your 3 favorite spots? I'm using the beach but would like somewhere with less people/fishermen.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:38 PM, riffclown said:

Jockey's Ridge for long lines and most winds.

The Wright Memorial for when you want a big grass field.

The pond area behind the Whalehead Club up in Corolla. (It's across the road from Flying Smiles.)

I will have to give First Flight a try since it's so close. I have a senior pass so it's free and lots of open space.