KiteLife Forum

unwinding a yo-yo

DannyB

I've gotten to where I can do a backflip fairly consistently, and sometimes I can even wrap it up into a yo-yo, at which point I laugh at the absurdity of life. Shortly after that, I ask myself, "How do I unwind this?" I accidently did it once, but I don't know how. Any suggestions?

There are a couple popular ways to get out of a roll up, assuming the lines have landed on the LE in such a way where there is still some control (yoyo stoppers keep the lines in this area - miss and its usually a crap shoot)...

1 - In the roll up, facing up, GENTLY push your hands toward the kite to tilt the nose away VERY slightly, then immediately bring both hands firmly down to your hips... This should do the job.

2 - Flying straight down (having made a wider than usual turn to get there in the roll up) with your hands back near your hips, about 25'-50' up, from the ground - quickly throw your hands way out and straight toward the kite with medium to large speed / power, then as the kite goes nose and belly down (pancake) immediately bring both your hands back to your hips as described above - BEAR IN MIND, this exits the roll up going straight down without a ton of clearance so be ready to either turn away from the ground or snap a stall.

Studying the other moves out there, there are a lot of things that can also be linked before or after these transitions, per the extended trick combos (no powered up flight - flappy spinny stuff) you may see in some of the videos from various folks.

• Like 1