KiteLife Forum

Buzzy NYM, Single Vent. Feature or Bug?

Invaderdust

Long time lurker, first time posting. <3 Been flying kites for about 10 years, and am a huge fan of quad line kites (revs in general).

So I recently picked up a beautiful Black Rainbow, New York Minute, Single Vent from Dave (awesome dude) over a @kiteconnection and got to fly it for the first time this weekend.

It flew like butter, but sadly, it sounded like a weed eater.

Coming from my full sail Rev B series, which is silent as the wind, is a stark contrast to the rasping buzz on my new NYM. Nothing I tried could help tune it out. It seems to be the trailing edge, and it buzzes/ is flappy at *any* speed. It doesn't seem to affect its flight,cause it did fly really really well, I loved that it had muuuuuch faster reverse speed, and super smooth control. It just disturbs the peace. And its not a little, it a lot. It is pretty loud.

I asked Dave about it, but he didn't know if the NYMs had a reputation be buzzy, but have found others talking about it online. Some buzzes, others silent, and others may only have it buzz on one side but not on the other. I am assuming its how the sail has been sewn.  

My question, is this a bug or a feature? Do you have a NYM single vent? Is it flappy? Did I get a loosely sewed sail? Am i just being silly or is this really a thing?

Should I contact Rev, or possibly attempt an exchange with Dave, or just live with the noise? Not sure the best way to proceed right now. 

Thoughts?

What's cool is Makatakum kind of had the answer in his post. The most common answer you will get is to add brake (using upgraded leaders if needed).. The buzzing usually is an indication of too much forward. Adding brake  keeps the sail loaded. I personally like to have the buzz for a dive stop but outside of that, I keep enough brake on it that it doesn't happen as often..

• Like 1

What's cool is Makatakum kind of had the answer in his post. The most common answer you will get is to add brake (using upgraded leaders if needed).. The buzzing usually is an indication of too much forward. Adding brake  keeps the sail loaded. I personally like to have the buzz for a dive stop but outside of that, I keep enough brake on it that it doesn't happen as often..

I had originally set up on the handles for the B Series that has the knotted leaders. I’ll try some more things tomorrow, going back out tomorrow. I’ll try to add more brake.

I know the only time I could get my full sail to flap was during a super loose dive stop. I could not load the sail tight enough to stop it, even when the pull got string enough for me to have to really lean back to keep my spot.

I’ll report back tomorrow after trying more things.

So far I’ve tried 2 different pairs of handles, 2 line sets, tightened the bungee at the bottom, different frames (black race and 3 wrap) as well as a couple placement knots on the leaders. But I’m pretty sure I just adjust the top strings I’ll try the bottoms tomorrow. I also have a set of the pro leaders on order.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Ok, so after extensive testing today, I WAS able to reduce the sound a bit. By using 150# lines, B series Handles, Extra brake knot added to bridal, and added 3 wrap frame in addition to the black race frame. It was stiff, and much quieter. Took the 3 wrap leading edge out, and it was buzzy again, but honestly, after flying hard to day in nearly 20mph winds, I am going to count the sound as a feature, not a bug. At high speeds it sounds like fire. I used to spin fire poi for years and years and the sound made me feel oddly nostalgic. So im very happy with the single vent. The race frame is so snappy and fun! I really love that.

Thanks for the tips!

Dustin

Also, the buzz doesnt feel like its from a lack of loaded sail. Its omnipresent.

How is the sail tension? Noise can be from a trailing edge being loose and flapping rapidly in the air. If that's the cause, make sure the bungee is tight enough, and hasn't degraded needing replacement. 

How is the bridle compared to other kites? Is it pulled tight in the right places? 

It can also happen with a stretched sail, similarly letting fabric flap around. Are there signs of wear and stretch marks? 

It can happen with loose stitches or other additions placed on the trailing edge designed to cause noise. Any modifications there? 

And as mentioned, there is variety in manufacturing. Two of my five Revolution kites needed significant tuning fresh from the factory, so in my experience they have struggled with quality control. In addition to adjusting bungee tension or bridle knots, you may simply have a noisy sail that wasn't sewn to have tight edges. Maybe if it isn't tuning, consider adding your own leach lines into the seams? 

• Like 1

The buzzing/vibration will eventually begin to shred the trailing edge. An occasional buzz at high speed won't damage the sail but constant buzzing will eventually fray the trailing edge. As riffclown mentioned, not enough brake increases the buzzing and sometimes enough brake while eliminate the buzz completely. Additional brake both decreases the top end speed of the kite as well increasing sail tension by increasing air pressure. Most people tend to use MUCH less brake than they should when first starting out. I can tell you, as a matter of fact, that I flew with 4 or 5 knots less brake for the first 100 hours or so when I started out with quads.