KiteLife Forum

Kite making

Gabriel

Hi everyone, 

I started making a revolution kite on my own and I even copied the bridle system but I wanted to try and fly it as a two string kite??? Is that possible???? It's cause I'm new to kite making, I thought a four string kite would be too complicated for me. 

My first kite was a simple delta and it flies great! But I've taken out my revolution type kite and it takes off but won't stay in the air long. The angle of attack in the bridle is about 20 degrees. So I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong. I realize the kite is a little heavy because I made it out of dowl. Any suggestions????

Thanks everyone. :)

First Welcome to Kitelife!! 

Without knowing details about your construction, it's difficult to give you too much guidance that would be valid for your build but making a Hadzicki Wing a four line kite would be far simpler than re-engineering to make it dual line. The design just doesn't lend itself to 2 line flight very well.

Ok, so I will probably try to make it a four line... that would mean I just have to add two more connection points at the bottom of the bridle and two more lines at those points. I'm getting tired of fine tuning it... but I just have to be patient. Almost there. 

When it comes to bridles, balance is the key. The secret is your bridle should be able to pull directly on the top 5 points without too much impact on the bottom 2. Conversely. The brakes should be able to influence the bottom of the sai. For some good plans try looking up the Freedom 2000 kite plans.

The fabric looks a bit on the heavy side. You will need wind to overcome the additional weight. The secrets to the design are weight, balance, sail tightness  and air flow. At some point, too much weight or deviation from these other factors can be very hard to overcome.