KiteLife Forum

Tacoma & South King County fliers.

Mike Eibey

Anybody in here from or do much flying in this area?

I find myself flying at Brown's Point in Tacoma often. Occasionally when the wind gets 12mph+ I'll meet some kiteboarders but never see any other dual or quad fliers.

If anyone ever wants to fly thats a pretty good spot for about 2, maybe 3 fliers with really good wind right off the sound.

Would love to have another dual line flyer to trick with in the area. Ill fly rev here also but its not my go too option. But I just like to fly. 👍

I'm always down to fly weekend and weekdays after work. I'm a relative newbie as well but can hold my own I think. I still have alot more to learn than things i would say I've mastered but I'm getting better all the time.

Longview seems a bit on the far side though from where I'm at. Im specifically in South Federal Way.

Where do you usually fly at?

i have a few places to fly around the Longview area, probably Willow Grove Park (25 min away) is the  best at this time with low winds and trees disturbing the wind as the biggest problems. to the south near Kalama there is a sand spit out in the Columbia River ( 25 min away) which is great when the wind is right at low tide only. otherwise my choices are a 45 min drive to Vista Park to the west on the Columbia or continue on to Long Beach, another 45 min. or i can go south toward Portland where there are several places on the Columbia around Vancouver and Portland. the only place ive flown to the north is Ocean Shores, about two hours away, so driving an hour or two is not that uncommon for me... once or twice a month.  a weekend would probably be best to get the most flying bang for the buck. before i take off for a kite flying day i look at wind reports and try to get 3 to 10 mph wind for most of the day. i dont know of any other spots between here and Brown's Point but that doesn't mean they aren't there...

so i looked at Weathernetwork's forecast for Brownspoint and Sunday afternoon is the first day with sub 10mph wind (Brownspoint seems to get the same type of weather as the coast) Monday is the first low wind day,  4 gusting to 6. the next good day was probly Thursday, 6 to 9. like i said i take off on kite road trips once or twice a month and im retired so meeting up with you even though its two hours away is no big deal.

I'm planning on flying tommorow at browns point about 1pm. I have some morning obligations and evening obligations but mid day I'm open.

The wind looks pretty good tommorow but will be indoubtly a little much for tricking. Sunday I will most likely by busy most of the day. 

I find about 50-60' lines at browns point is about perfect. Theres also a few fields up the hill from there that have tons of room but the winds are noticeably rough and sporadic up there.

Screenshot_20201023-121537_Windfinder.jpg

Screenshot_20201023-121531_Windfinder.jpg

Exactly at the improvement club.

I live just outside of the boundary to gain membership there so I use the public parking lot just north east of the boat ramp.

I love flying down at that field there. Definitly need some 60' or shorter lines though usually.