KiteLife Forum

Advice on anchoring a 5m Bol (Ring) to grass/harder ground

Invaderdust

Recently got bit by the single line bug, found fun 3d inflatable single lines, and pulled the trigger on a 5m bol. I am curious how to best anchor it. I do not know how strong it will be, it does not say what line test (rope?) I would need for it. I tried the search feature and read most of what I could find in regards to anchoring, but wanted to open up fresh thread for anyone to chime in and share their tips and trick for anchoring down bol kites to grass/firmer ground. I can use larger stakes there in my fly site since its not a sports field or anything. 

Anything will help. its been shipped and I have about a week to get ready before it lands. 

been flying kites (mostly quad and some dual lines) for over ten years, for quick backstory of exp. 

• Like 1

Thanks! I’ll get this kit ordered in the morning. I just bought a dead blow 45g hammer for the big plastic stakes I first tried.

I’d get a smooth-faced long-handled framing hammer. The straighter claw makes for easier stake removal.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1

I’d get a smooth-faced long-handled framing hammer. The straighter claw makes for easier stake removal.

I was thinking the dead blow would not be good for the metal stakes. I’ll keep it for camping and get a smooth head long handled framing hammer. Thanks again!!

• Like 1

I'd tie off with nothing less than 300# line. I like dyneema.  
Agree about the Storm Force tie down, and especially with a bol, which pulls at a low angle. It's what I use myself.
If you are in a windy place, I'd also get a couple of strong carabiners and a figure of 8 to make line handling safe and easy.  Learn the spanish knot. Write back here if you can't find it elsewhere and I'll post some pics.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

New to SLK as well, I happen to see the storm force anchor system on line before I saw this post. I have anchored to the hitch on my Jeep a couple of times but thought it was worth a try. I decided to make it myself with 2" aluminum angle, I bought a 1/4 inch U bolt and 12 galvanized spikes (the one that comes with the storm force are 13"). I made it 14" long and drilled 5 holes opposite the anchor point and additional 2 on the anchor side if needed. 

I was out this past weekend and the winds were 9-10 mph, I put up a Power sled 24 with a couple of Tails. The pull was easy enough to hold with on hand on the yo-yo, I had already set the anchor so just clip in and sat back and let it do its thing. After about an hour of fiddling with other stuff I brought the sled in packed it up and did a final check on the anchor, it was still solid on the ground. I was so pleased with it I made two more when I got into work this morning. 

20210717_135240.jpg

20210717_135229.jpg

• Like 1