KiteLife Forum

Got Whump today! What is Whump??

Bunduki Vlieger

Putting "whump" in at the beginning of movement loads the sail with air pressure and makes the movement immediate and crisp. The kite gets up to speed almost immediately, instead of slowly accelerating until it achieves the ultimate speed at which you want it to move. It adds intensity to the movement and decreases response-to-input time. Depending on the degree of usage it changes the mood of the "performance" from sleepy to energized. There is a detailed discussion of it on this site. Search it if you haven't already.

Watch this video and you will see the transition from near zero whump to full whump. I'm not talking about overall speed which also increases to match the music, but how quickly the kite moves from stop to go, or changes direction with almost instant acceleration.

P.S. -- It is also being able to "punch" to decelerate the kite quickly, or to stop motion instantly.

Here's another video. You can see the lesser amount of overall intensity to match the mood of the music. Whump is what turns kite from toy to art.

• Like 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The key to "whump" is the flexed shape of the kite... Whump sets and holds a particular shape and line tension (the same that you are desiring) immediately, as opposed to "ramping up" speed from a simple top line pull until the kite shapes itself.

Shape determines the performance of the kite, the top pilots work that shape intentionally to coerce different responses for different needs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, makatakam said:

Here's another video. You can see the lesser amount of overall intensity to match the mood of the music. Whump is what turns kite from toy to art.

Great video. Great location. btw: The colors are an announcement for the upcoming Djinn Cool Fade, or :-)

8 hours ago, makatakam said:

You're wrong. It's not the color. It's the "magic strings" he uses. 😀

I hate to break it to you but it's really the person holding the handles. All things being equal, ALMOST everything else including kite color can be overcome.🖐️

• Like 1

I have objected to the premise of whump, from the beginning. I want everything tight all the time, the need to preload the slack out of a bridle seems counter productive to me, instant response is the joy of quad

When sharing,.... i snap at people doing "forward / down turns" back to the center of the wind window,... no instead you "back that bottom wing UP" (or put my crap down and fly some else's OPK).

You can't please everyone, Reverse to go Forward,.... it's a common team call for us ( in btwn is a LE up side slide connecting the two).

a Whumpless bridle allows a single action to create a flick-flak, you snap it into position, but it freely returns back to normal w/o any more motion from the pilot being necessary

I don't have enough experience with the synch'd bridle, but lessening the effect I found preferable, I want each leg independent as that's what I'm used to. 

Thanks for reading my rant!

And some people like drinking scotch, some people like wine - power to ya, great thing about having choices. 👍🏻

For what it's worth, I've found the "whump" is applicable on ANY quad or bridle for the desired effect, some more than others - French bridles and original Rev bridles more so than I found on the Sync.

My sense is that you still don't actually understand what the point of it is - whump isn't a "jerk and herk" movement, it's the little tiny give and snap that we ALL do to jump off the line, versus simply pulling back on the top lines. That's it.

• Like 1

Wow... these subtleties are difficult to understand / translate in a foreign language.

On 11/16/2020 at 9:28 PM, John Barresi said:

The key to "whump" is the flexed shape of the kite... Whump sets and holds a particular shape and line tension (the same that you are desiring) immediately, as opposed to "ramping up" speed from a simple top line pull until the kite shapes itself.

If this explanation is still valid in this simple form, then I understand the concept of "whump" :-)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...