KiteLife Forum

Freilein Oskusa Vertigo vs Exodus ?

Alex D

5 hours ago, Lon said:

Alex D,

I would listen riffclown!

I own both a Exodus MV and a Vertigo STD.   They were both purchased from Andy up at OSK in Ocean Shores, WA.  Side note here, Andy and Brenda, well you won't meet better people!!

So the reason I purchased the Vertigo was to have a lighter wind quad.  Since the sail material is a little lighter than the Exodus quads, it seemed like I good choice and I have been very happy with it.  I also framed it with beyond zero rods to make it even a little lighter.

I think you will be very happy with your purchase and there is a lot of great help here!!

👍 I have been discussing this with and listening to riffclown and John over the last week 😉 that and to be fair to my family with my spending is why I chose to go with the Vertigo package above.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Alex D said:

to be fair to my family with my spending is why I chose to go with

This is universally true, no shame in that.

As you grow into the hobby, you can start saving money until the budget grows into it. 

Some people also build their own, choosing to save a lot of money in exchange for time, sweat, blood, and tears. Line sets cost about half as much but require buying in bulk up front; yards of kite fabric cost have some waste as you cut around, but then you've got people like @riffclown who make impressive patchwork kites from hundreds of tiny scraps of fabric.

Assuming you stick with the sport, you'll have one, then another, then another, then you'll talk about your collection with pride, then you'll talk about it with embarrassment as you forget how many total kites you own. :o (I'm at 24, but Christmas is coming, plus I've saved up for the Djindoor when it is released...)

• Like 4

Well ... do you all have the popcorn? 🙂 indeed no drama or flamewar. Just some information after a call to the owner of the brand:

a lot of products are named as Icarex, but the only real Icarex is owned by a Dutch company. see the spec sheet you can easily find on the internet type in icarexpolyester dot com and all your dreams come through.

the rights to produce and sell are since 5-2020 in hands of a new company, the old owner Vliegerop is no more.

the product was and is still produced in the factory (Teijin) in Japan. No other Factories produce the (real) product.

by high demands for cloth kite builders/printers face currently a shortage. The new owner is busy to create more stock and this has to be done together with the factory.

so ...... may I have also some popcorn? Please 😋

• Like 1

Not sure the model, but I flew one of the Freilein sails early on as a tester. It was before Andy went to holes on the LE and still used mesh. He gave me 2 to try for a weekend at a festival, a std and a mid. Winds were right up the std range. It flew just fine. At that time, it flew just about as well as anything on the market. I felt it was a great choice for anyone starting out.  IMO

PS: I did end up using a Rev race frame in it, just to see how that felt - I liked it even more!! I'm sure that Andy has plenty of available options for one now, depending on your use. I think at the time it had T-2 rods in it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Not sure the model, but I flew one of the Freilein sails early on as a tester. It was before Andy went to holes on the LE and still used mesh. He gave me 2 to try for a weekend at a festival, a std and a mid. Winds were right up the std range. It flew just fine. At that time, it flew just about as well as anything on the market. I felt it was a great choice for anyone starting out.  IMO

PS: I did end up using a Rev race frame in it, just to see how that felt - I liked it even more!! I'm sure that Andy has plenty of available options for one now, depending on your use. I think at the time it had T-2 rods in it.

The Midvent would be an Exodus since the Vertigo isn't available in that format.

• Like 1