KiteLife Forum

Kite Flying Wind

JohnC

I think every instructional video I have seen has the kite flying in wind so low that it doesn't show on film.  I live far from a beach and the wind here is either on or off and it's off for only a handful of days out of the year.  I was wondering how often do most people fly there kite near the upper end of the kite's rated wind speed?

Short answer....Never ever......

I have a number of kites that will handle tons of wind....vented Rev 2 for example but do not like flying in winds above 12 mph or so when the whitecaps start forming on the water. I live right by the ocean and those constant ocean breezes I've heard about certainly don't know about this place.....😃

My fav winds for flying are from about 7-8 to 0 so none of any standard or ultralight kites flight would be approaching top wind ranges. Very rarely will I fly a dualie over 8 mph even though I have a vented airfx and a pd vented. I would switch to a vented Rev by that point. 

So for me I fly in the lower wind ranges as again I don't enjoy flying in lots of wind....there ya go....a long time kitester who doesn't like wind but I'm out flying as often as possible.

However, if I was to fly at the top of the kite's wind range regularly I would just get another (appropriate) kite. I would be more comfortable having a vented version or a vented kite on hand and switch to that. Same going the opposite way standard to ul/sul....

Revs have an excellent advantage in being able to immediately switch out frames as wind conditions change. Even then I still go,the opposite way....a 2 wrap frame in a vented Rev?.......ooooh la la!!

As usual the same end result.....buy more kites!!!!

bt

• Like 1

I'm in the Chicago area and "Windy City" is, unfortunately, a reference to politics, not wind. We don't get many days of really strong wind, but I have vented kites that are made for that purpose. I find it uncomfortable to fly in wind that is pushing me around, so I avoid anything over 16 mph, or thereabouts. I have kites that can handle wind over 40 mph and have flown in wind over 25 mph three or four times. Over 35 mph, once, for about 5 minutes and then headed for the bar. Don't get me wrong, though. If you enjoy it, go for it. I found it invigorating the first couple of times, but soon realized that my true passion is flying in wind so slow that most kites are grounded. Get the right kite for the wind you'll be flying, as too much pressure in the sail of a kite not designed for it will eventually, if not immediately, destroy the kite or at least cause premature wear.

Today in Oklahoma City, the wind has actually been around the fore casted 15 mph.  I certainly don't want to damage a kite because I flew in too heavy of a wind.  I am trying to find another field that hasn't been scalped because the bermuda at the  nearby park has been rough with kite lines. 

On 11/30/2020 at 4:16 PM, JohnC said:

I live far from a beach and the wind here is either on or off and it's off for only a handful of days out of the year.  I was wondering how often do most people fly there kite near the upper end of the kite's rated wind speed?

That's the normal scenario, beaches are only a small part of the world. Most of us live with wildly variable wind.

Stealing Paul's normal quote, there is really no such thing as bad weather, only a poorly equipped kite flier.  Want to fly in dead calm air or indoors? There are kites for that. Want to fly in a gale, or in hurricane force winds? There are kites for that.

You certainly can choose to fly a kite near the upper end of it's rated speed. Even if the spars don't break (they can be replaced), the sail fabric stretches and has a risk of tearing. All sail fabric stretches out over time, it's just a question of if you want to enjoy the kite for thousands of hours, or only a few.

Many kites sell a range, from ultralight (UL) and super-ultralight (SUL) versions for light wind or no wind, up through to vented versions that are mostly mesh or fabric windows. Dual line kites can also have air brakes, basically a piece of fabric or mesh along the lines placed on the bridle mounts that add drag to slow it down.

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Today in Oklahoma City, the wind has actually been around the fore casted 15 mph.

15MPH is a great forecast for the vast majority of kites. Usually for inland wind there is considerable variability, so even though the forecast is 15MPH from minute to minute it may range from 8 to 15 to 20 to 12 to 6 to 10, and so on. That is strong enough to get the massive kites up in the air, and still low enough that most of the cheap plastic kites the kiddies bring can fly like a dream.

Learn to use the wind window so when wind is pulling hard you are flying out on the edge, where pull is minimal. As wind dies off, fly back into the power zone.

What kind of kite do you have? You may have missed an ideal flying day, or if you have an SUL, you may have dodged a bullet.

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

Today in Oklahoma City, the wind has actually been around the fore casted 15 mph.

Today at the beach the wind was steady at 0 with puffs around 2 mph off the water. I had a blast with a Wala and a Skate.

Two days ago we had a storm/wind warning so I stayed home. Yesterday was about 4...no.....10...no 2...no 20.....I stayed home as well.

I love kiting!!!

bt

On 12/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, frob said:

What kind of kite do you have? You may have missed an ideal flying day, or if you have an SUL, you may have dodged a bullet.

My first kite was a single line parafoil from Into the Wind in Boulder Colorado.  I thought it was odd that Boulder should have a kite shop, but it is an artsy tourist trap.  I then purchased a Quantum 2.0 and Prism's littlest dual line parafoil.  I might be getting a 4D for Christmas, who knows for sure. 

That 15mph day felt like a good day for the Quantum.  However, a few days ago the 7mph day allowed me to work on stalls.  I ordered 50#/50ft Spectra line for the Quantum and tried it out today.  It feels like I am relearning how to do punch turns all over again.  Not sure if it's the new line or just the fact it has been a week since last good flight session.  The 50/50 line has been a lot easier to keep the kite in the air in slight breeze and drastically easier to see the kite in general.

Actually ITW is well regarded nationally for their online and mail orders. They have room to improve like all retailers, but they have a good collection of beginner and intermediate kites.

All the kite stores I have been to keep the expensive kites in the corner, and the cheap bright children's kites on display, much like you called it feeling like a tourist trap. Families are much more likely to buy a fancy $19 kite than a $100 kite. The $300+ kites are kept behind the counter or in the back. People who want them know to ask by name. 

The Quantum is a good learning kite. It is solidly built and has a big wind range. It can survive many hard crashes and parts are readily available when spars break. It uses elastic which is forgiving and does not require tying. The kite can fly most basic tricks without difficulty. I have one to set up for strangers who want to try. 

I know the other two by reputation only, so I am not really qualified for a big comparison. 

Overall the Quantum is a beginner to intermediate skill kite, tolerant of poor handling and very forgiving to crashes and abuse. Those same qualities make it difficult for advanced work, where pilots need something stiffer and more responsive, which also means more sensitive and twitchy. It can handle some tricks, and repair parts are available everywhere. 

By reputation I understand several of the Benson kites are more advanced fliers. People could likely do more with them if they have the skills and experience, and they are flown by people accustomed to maintaining and repairing as they are used. 

19 hours ago, JohnC said:

Frob, what would you say is the biggest difference between something like my Quantum 2.0 and a Benson and then a Quantum and a custom kite like Sky Sport Design? 

Not sure why a SkySportDesign kits is any more orless custom than a Benson.  Both are build to order and both Lam and Tim will offer bespoke colors although on the SuperFly and SuperNova series Tim will only offer it on certain panels (an agreement he has with Chris Goff, the designer).

I have very limited experience of SSD kites having only ever flown a Fearless for about 30 minutes, so I am not going to compare the two makes.  You can't go wrong with either for build quality.  Both will offer you a night and day difference to a Quantum if you are past the crash and burn phase, especially if you are wnating to get into tricks.

• Like 1