KiteLife Forum

Changing Kites

Kaz

Hello

We have had a stunt kite for years with two strings and in general we are pretty good at controlling it, loops, figure of eight etc.  I have no idea what kite it is but I've added a picture.  I also wondered if we would be intermediate rather than beginner.

I'm thinking of upgrading and getting a new kite for Christmas but I'm not sure what to look for next.  I did wonder about a dual line parafoil kites?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Karen

20200919_161749.jpg

What you get next depends on your interest.  Foils are good if you enjoy strong pull and “playing tug of war with the sky”.  If you want a totally new experience, a quad would be a great choice.  If you are interested in learning slack-line tricks with a dual, then what you have is a good start, but maybe add something that can fly in lighter winds so your practice is less dependent on the weather.  

2 hours ago, Kaz said:

... I have no idea what kite it is but I've added a picture....

(snip)

20200919_161749.jpg

Guessing HQ Jam Session, early 2000s. Possibly the 2001 or Millenium versions. Or some such.

Good 'old skool' stunt kite!

But I get the need for 'change'. You may be getting hooked. If you are lucky🙂

I am sure that there will be some suggestions...

Thanks both. Think we have tried slacking but didn't know there was a name for it.  Do u mean flying into the wind so the lines become slack and the kite stays still?

No need for massive pull and tug of war. I struggle with this one sometimes in strong winds. Ive looked up ur videos of quad and guess u meant a kite flown by 4 line. It looks really good fun.

Would we be best to go for light wind or quad? Could u suggest some suitable kites light wind and or quad so I can search for them please? There are so many I don't know where to start.

Also any video or tutorials you would recommend?

Difficult to look up the old kite info without giving the Christmas surprise away lol.

Definately a bit addictive but want to add a bit more skill now.

Thx 

Karen 

4 hours ago, Kaz said:

Think we have tried slacking but didn't know there was a name for it.  Do u mean flying into the wind so the lines become slack and the kite stays still?

No.  Slack line tricks are much, much more than that.  Spins, flips, tumbles, roll-ups.  There is a whole new world of flying to explore.  It’s not easy to learn, but learning is very satisfying!

Watch some of these videos, and you will see all sorts of tricks you didn’t know were possible:

Trick videos!!

Honestly, I would recommend learning the basics with what you have.  The Jam Session can do a lot and you are already familiar with it.  But, if you are in a retail therapy mood, look for a kite that comes in both standard (STD) and lightweight (UL) versions (SUL and vented versions are a big plus).  One of the traps people fall into ... I certainly did ... is buying a new kite all the time because “it can such-n-such trick”.  Constantly switching kites slows learning because they all respond to inputs a little differently.  You are lucky because you have good access to some great European kites.  Benson (UK) is an all time favorite brand, but the line up is a little smaller and caters to advanced pilots.  R-Sky (France) might be my first choice, if I were you.  Level One (Germany) is definitely worth a look too.  

The best place to purchase is your local kite shop, if possible.  The advise and support they’ll offer  is worth paying extra for.  I can’t help you there.  If you look up the Fractured Axle Forum, that was once where all the UK guys hung out.  Sadly, it’s all but dead these days, but people still check in and post.  They will be better to ask about kite shops.  If you are lucky, you will meet some other flyers in your area.  

You also mentioned foils.

Think the difference between a fighter plane as the dual, and a helicopter as a quad. A solid parafoil might be a passenger jet or even a cargo plane. 

Sport foils are smallish, between about 1-3 meters across. Their more powerful siblings of traction or power kites are often 2-4 square meters of sail. Your kite will pull roughly the same as a 2 meter sport foil. 

Since they don't have a frame you can't do those fancy acrobatic tricks, but they can pull fast and hard. They range from a moderate workout to something designed to haul you around in a buggy, or even kiteboarding. Don't go beyond a sport sail size without some safety training. Once you get into power kite range they include multiple ways to kill the power. Kiteboard kites always include at least 3 kite killers and people still get overwhelmed and injured occasionally. 

@KAZ. 
T
he photo is an HQ Jam Session I think, also it looks to me like it was taken overlooking the Bristol Channel near Barry. I see the ships in the background departing the pilot drop off station, and Flatholm Is in the background.

I live in Barry and have revisited my kite flying after a break of a good few years, dusting off the HQ Jam Session, and also investing in two new kites recently, I have bought a Benson Deep Space Standard and UL. I am getting more into trick flying, learning from videos on YouTube.

I think the local kite shops have long since closed, I used to fly up on Cowbridge Common, and a couple of kite shop owners used to take stock up there to sell from their cars.

The main shop now in the UK for stunt kites is Kiteworld in Essex, or Kitesup, both have websites.

I can also strongly recommend Benson Kites, made in Cornwall, again have an excellent website, the standard of Tim’s building is second to none, but you have to wait 5 weeks for delivery, but well worth the wait.

I fly in Barry and at Sully when I am home, if you want any more info leave a reply here.

Thank you both for your advice. I have struggled to find local shops and clubs but did contact Kiteworld.

Although I work in Barry photo was taken off the coast of Broad Haven in West Wales. Nice to know what kite it is though. I think I might look at Benson kites after reading the last comments.

Thanks again

Karen