KiteLife Forum

Taz Machine

Mike Eibey

I finally started trying to get the slot machine today and was shocked to hit it on my first try. I had tried before a little while back but wasn't getting close at all but studied a bit more and realized the the 2 separate inputs on the upper wing to get the kite into that near flared position and the main rotation were way closer together than I originally thought. But this trick came really easy after realizing this little aspect.

So in trying to hit the taz machine I'm not even getting close to getting the kite to flat spin. I'm getting the initial nose high flare but when I give the next input for the flat spin the kite more lunges towards me and doesn't rotate much at all.

Is the second input more of a long hard pull as opposed to pop? Also when the kite is going into the flare are you supposed to get the line you're about to give the input to go a little taunt first as you would in a 540? 

Any input or advice would be much appreciated.

It may help to mention the kite with which you're trying to do the trick. Some kites are less inclined to do some tricks than others. It would be really frustrating to try to learn using a kite that just won't do it. I don't do any tricking, so I can't help with specifics, but I know that some kites just won't do certain things and it would be helpful for those with experience to know which kite you're using. Perhaps there's a kite in your quiver that would make learning this easier until you get the hang of it and can do it with the ones that resist.

Lam could Taz a chaise lounge.  What he can do offers very little insight into what a kite is good at.  

Most SUL’s are difficult to Taz.  I’m sure the Dream Machine is better than many, but I would expect it to be much easier to learn on a Std or even a UL.  

• Like 1

Thats very true.

I kind of figured that had a decent amount to do with it. That kite does do a very graceful slot machine. But its the worst kite for yoyos. Once wrapped it really struggles to stay airborne. It excels in areas but has some definite weaknesses for the average flyer trying to learn tricks.

Hopefully when I get this Soul into the air I can get some good practice time on it. I'm excited to have a better standard trick kite besides just the hydra.

Mike,

If the kite is just coming towards you when you make the second pull, it is probbly the kite.  I had a Sturdy Saber, which did the same on (I think) Slots.

The second pull is more of a slower lawn mower type pull and it helps if you can manage the slack so that there is next to no slack when you start the move.  Slack is critical to the rotation, so you need to give a lot of slack as soon as you have made the hand movement otherwise the kite will partially rotate before the lines go taut and stop the rotation.  A very large step forward of even running a few short steps wil help no end.

Bcause of the Covid restrictions in the uK, I haven't flown at all this year, so the above is based on recollection rather than recent practice.

Hope it helps!

Jon

• Thanks 1

That should help alot. Ill try to get that second pull a bit of a longer tug. I think I've been trying to get a bit too much of a pop on that input. Thank you!

I'll definitly try this on the Soul too. Haven't flown it yet but very excited to see what its capable of.

• 3 months later...

Definitely still do not own this trick by any means. I technically got one taz out of about 50 tries but it was very sloppy. 

I'm gonna keep at it though. I think that last input is where I struggle the most. I think i usually pull to hard because often flip the kite into a fade from the flare. 

I can get some rotations but it's usually is not sufficient enough to complete the trick. More slack often seems to send the kite into a weird rotation that ends up in a snagged wing. 

I'm gonna get this trick some day.

Lately the main practice has been on the dream machine sul. 

I tried a few times on the nirvana std when the wind was up and was getting closer. The nirvana was the only kite I got a taz on but it was pretty rough looking.

I'm pretty sure it's the last input that's giving me trouble but also wonder if I need to get more speed into the kite leading up to the flare. It seems other people on the videos carry alot more momentum into the trick.

I finally nailed 3 decent tazs today. All going left to right. I hit about 10 more that were extremely sloppy.

Happy to have done it myself finally but still need more practice until I can really claim it as a trick I own. Made serious improvements today though.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting better with the taz. Can get them either direction about half the time.

I think one thing that can make this trick more difficult to learn is that, atleast for me, I you can get alot of tip wraps if the setup and slack given aren't really good.

Or if the last input for the spin is to aggressive it can pull the kite to fade.

I find myself having to think about this trick alot more than other tricks when setting up and executing. One of these days it'll be muscle memory, it's just not quite yet.🙂