KiteLife Forum

Hydra ITW bridle fabric measurements

Gianluca

Hello everybody!

Can anyone help me concerning the Fabric measurements of the Bridle of the Kite in object? I have to make a new one by myself and as the kite had deleted marks on the previous bridle, I don't have any good reference. The only documents I received from INTO THE WIND is the one attached but, may be, due to my low experience, I'm not sure at all I get it right...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Gianluca 

IMG-20201221-WA0001.jpg

16 hours ago, Gianluca said:

Hello everybody!

Can anyone help me concerning the Fabric measurements of the Bridle of the Kite in object? I have to make a new one by myself and as the kite had deleted marks on the previous bridle, I don't have any good reference. The only documents I received from INTO THE WIND is the one attached but, may be, due to my low experience, I'm not sure at all I get it right...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Gianluca 

IMG-20201221-WA0001.jpg

I have one of these, visiting family for next two weeks, but I can measure and post what you need. Just promise me that you are only going to use the information for personal use.....do you have a picture of your current hydra?

Hi! Thanks for your answer and your help! I really appreciate!! In attachment the pic of this beautiful kite. Of course the measurements I need are just for my personal use in my free time...

Then if I get it right you will be able to write to me back no before then two weeks. I'm just saying that because I cannot wait to fly it again... Do you think you can understand what ITW sent me ( attached pic in my previous message) in order to guess the right measurements? 

Thanks again!

IMG-20201222-WA0007.jpg

I measured my hydra bridle and all of the dimensions agree with the figure you posted. The dimension of the loop on the ULE pigtail is missing – it is 68mm. The figure can be confusing if you are new to this. I will try to add some details – I hope it helps.

The bridle consists of three sections. One that is tied to the spine at the center T and then continue to each of the tow points. The other two are identical, one for each side of the kite, and go between the two leading edge connectors. These sections are actually each in two pieces with a pig tail at the upper leading edge connector to allow you to adjust for wind conditions.

Look at the point where the three bridle legs come together. You will see an overhand knot and a larks head knot next to each other. The overhand knot is on the center T bridle section and the larks head is in the section that goes between the two leading edge connectors.

The center T part is on very long piece (almost 3.5m). It consists of a loop at the center that is 38mm long (this is the part that connects to the spine). There is a knot that is 584mm from the tip of the loop on each side. This is the knot where the three legs come together. There is another knot at the end of each side where you connect the flying lines – the tow point. The exact length to the tow point isn’t critical, but it is critical that it is the same on both sides.

Now look at the upper leading edge (ULE) connector. You will see a pigtail looped around the connector with two knots in it. These are the knots at 83mm and 105mm. The loop is 68mm (the missing dimension). Again, the knots are measured from the tip of the loop.

The other part of the section that goes between the two leading edge connectors has a knot at one end and a loop at the other end. The size of this loop doesn’t matter – this is the loop that uses a larks head to connect to the pig tail. The mark at 584mm is the center of the larks head knot that connects this line to the center T connection.

I hope this helps and that I didn’t add more confusion.

• Like 1

Hi David!!

Thanks so much for your help and for your time!! You definitely gave me many unknown info... I truly appreciated!! Anyway, as I'm totally new to this, I attached a pick of the Bridle where I added the final measurements I got from your reply, of those that are the critical sections to me...

Distance between points:

M to I (T centre to the cross of the tea bridle lines)= 584 mm

O to I (from ULE)= 451 mm

I to S (from LLE) = 584 mm

Hoping I've got something correctly from your reply...Wainting to your replay to put hands on the replacement of the Bridle.

Thank you!

Screenshot_20201224-180202.jpg

Basically that is correct, except to recognize that the measurements are of the bridle line off of the kite. That is, the measurements include the sections that tie around the rods. Also The O to I you show is only to the end of the loop that larks heads to the pig tail. Here is a rough sketch of the bridle and dimensions.

Good luck tiering a new bridle. Take your time and measure carefully.

2020-12-24_112941.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DavidB said:

Basically that is correct, except to recognize that the measurements are of the bridle line off of the kite. That is, the measurements include the sections that tie around the rods. Also The O to I you show is only to the end of the loop that larks heads to the pig tail. Here is a rough sketch of the bridle and dimensions.

Good luck tiering a new bridle. Take your time and measure carefully.

2020-12-24_112941.jpg

That's simply amazing!

I cannot thank you enough for your help and support! ;)

The sketch is very easy to comprehend so that I'm preatty sure I can handle it.

Have a good one!!

• Like 1