KiteLife Forum

My new Freilein Windrider III UL (Ultralight) quad

midibot

My new Freilein Windrider III UL (Ultralight) quad

So, my eye was caught by a new Freilein quad. At least new to me. And it comes in UL!

So, I got one for myself for Christmas! (Being in need of a new kite.)

See the pics taken the day it arrived, earlier in December -- hope they work. Apologies for quality. Flown briefly just once to date, bad conditions for it.

Points of interest, some of which may already appear in other kites; a few are shown in the pics:

1. Existence of the UL model in the Freilein lineup is new (to me anyways). It sports Crystal T1 spars, which are 12.5 grams apiece. My previous generation Standard has T2s, which weigh ~14.5g. 

2. No screening on the UL (unlike the Standard and upper wind models). Thus the sail cloth is right up to the dacron. 

3. Upright connectors: Ts built into dacron LE tunnel. So no protruding connector above the LE. 

4. Sail width at LE same as my older standard II, but the LE spar length is shorter by about 1” and thus does not protrude as much beyond the dacron. Less place to ‘catch’?

5. LE wingtip bungee knots now internal to LE dacron tunnel.

6. Reinforcement strip at tip of sail Vs -- buffers the knots on the bungees holding the verticals on the tips, presume for less snags. (Q whether to put the verticals inside or outside or if it matters. They are inside in the pics.)

7. Weight compared to II Standard? A: UL 6.9 oz (my Std is 7.3 oz) (~197 g / 206g) 

8. Variations in framing in the III lineup include some mix and match of T1 / T2 / T3 spars throughout the 5 models UL, STD, and the 3 vented options. (I also picked up some T0s (10.5 gram) to play with for even lighter options. Weight approximates Skyshark P90s; not sure about stiffness.)

9. Fabric. Mine appears to be PC31, softer and less crinkly than PC20. Available ‘fade’ red goes from yellow through orange to mid red (depending on light). Looks cool to these eyes.

10. Bridle looks different (?)

11. “PRO” label on their rather nice bag.

12. Build quality generally seems consistent w previous, meaning good.

13. …TBD… 

These started out as notes to myself, but thought I’d share them in case anyone is interested. Feedback and thoughts welcome. 

(This is not intended as a review. I don’t know enough.)

Cheers

Freilein Windrider III UL.jpg

Freilein Windrider III UL connector angle.jpg

Freilein Windrider III UL connector closer.jpg

Freilein Windrider III UL back.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 12:57 PM, John Barresi said:

Nice to see someone else adopt the bottom bungee knot covers, finally. 😇

This just now prompted me to have a closer look at the Djinn site to educate myself, and must say: what an impressive offering, for many reasons, of which this point may only be one.

I can see myself inching towards that (small “n”) nirvana. (Once I have attained it, however -- then what's to lust for? 😉)

In any case, I am enjoying the journey.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cot51stState said:

I added lower bungee covers to the B Pro you sold me. Additionally there's leading edge t-connectors, aluminum end caps, and the upper bungee knots are tied off in the pocket formed between the dual layer of fabric at the top of the sail. If imitation is the highest form of flattery, you should be blushing 🤭

Aluminum end caps! Cool.

Hmmm. If I ever needed to replace some on other kites, why wouldn't I  try these I'm thinking, if they fit. Or perhaps even replace proactively if there's enough reason...

5 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

or at least based upon it

5 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

lam's bridle, ..... commercially known as "Three Winds"

Ah. Thanks.

Apparently the Kite Shoppe carries 3Winds quads, including parts and bridles, from digging around a bit.

An acquaintance passed on to me the idea that, to him, dynamic or turbo bridles such as these result in better drive through turns -- more positive and precise.

I am way too low on the learning curve to properly judge but comments like those give me something to watch for. In case the trait isn't immediately apparent to me in flight. 

Be interested in your thoughts on quad bridles. Or an update on them sometime.

2 hours ago, Cot51stState said:

USPS just dropped off one of those triangular boxes that originated at The Kite Shoppe. I have it on good authority that it is a 3Winds SUL. I'll have to wait until tomorrow for pictures because, alas, today is not my birthday 😏

Now that is an uncanny coincidence! 😉

Look forward to hearing about that kite.

Happy Birthday in advance!

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 12:57 PM, John Barresi said:

Nice to see someone else adopt the bottom bungee knot covers, finally. 😇

Bazzer did that a decade ago, Shook as well, certainly not a new development, mine are used to prevent the spar form displacement during abusive flailing, so "inside" the pocket

On 1/18/2021 at 12:36 PM, Cot51stState said:

The courtyard is brick and I now sympathize with those who were discussing what to put on end caps to give them some grip🤣. It was not a problem I ever recall having with the aluminum Djinn end caps. 

I use latex tubing found at the hardware store. 1/4" internal diameter stuff takes some doing to stretch over the endcap, but is cheap and since it comes in 10-foot tubes but only used an inch at a time, doesn't feel bad to replace as it gets chewed up.

• Thanks 1