KiteLife Forum

HQ Symphony Pro 2.2 vs 2.5

Joneo

Hello! I currently have a Symphony Pro 1.8 dual line foil kite, and am looking to get something with a bit more pull. Is there much difference between HQ's 2.2 and 2.5 Pro Symphony kites? I'm a small framed individual, about 145 lbs if that helps. I see a lot of people like the 2.2 and have modified it into a quad line kite; do they do this with the 2.5 as well? Thank you very much for your input. ☺

First, Welcome to KiteLife!  We are glad you are here.

There is a bit more pull to the 2.5 but these are both sport sized and you can pull a buggy with either. The difference in pull between the 2.2 and the 2.5 isn't major but it is noticeable. I've said it often that the 2.2 is the sweet spot for the quad conversion but I have done a 2.5 for Chris Shultz at HQ Kites.  At one point they were considering making it 4 line capable due to that work.

So to bottom line your answers.

Yes there's a difference in the sizes but all things considered it's not a HUGE difference.

Yes, Both of these sizes are good candidates for 4 line conversion.

13 hours ago, Joneo said:

I see a lot of people like the 2.2 and have modified it into a quad line kite

Looking online I only see one person doing it, Riff who just replied above, with his kites flown by others but saying converted by Riff. After some quick web searches I only see results showing kites by Riff and his real life name posted in various locations. In addition to "making of" and flying videos, he posted instructions: http://www.riffclown.com/kites/HQ2.2.4Conversion.pdf

I'm curious if it has quietly become a bigger conversion, or if the ones already done all come from Riff despite publishing the instructions. 

I've done close to 30 personally but I know of numerous others due to private messages or emails asking for certain details.. I do get the occasional request for a conversion and/or a set of Bridles still. They are insanely fun kites for sure..

The Major thread is here

FWIW, I only know of a few Symphony 2.5's that have been modified.. Most are the Symphony 2.2(.4) and even a few Prism Synapse.

Ah well I guess what I meant by "a lot of people... have modified it" is really that alot of riffclown's customers are flying his modified kites, based on the posts I have been reading on this forum! 🙃 

Thank you all for the input! This helps to know that while there is a noticeable difference between the 2.2 and 2.5, it is not a giant leap between the two. 

@Joneo Do keep in mind that despite both of these being sport sized, either of these foils can generate quite a bit of power. Don't expect to be able to just hold your ground as the breeze strengthens. In the right conditions either can hurt you. The 2.2 will pull a heavy buggy with a 200 lb adult in it 20mph down the beach. Total weight close to 275. Be careful and be smart please. They can yank you off your feet before you realize you are in trouble. 

1 hour ago, riffclown said:

Are you converting it to 4 line?

Well I’ve been reading up on your conversions, and a 2.2.4 does sound rather interesting... so maybe eventually but I think I should probably mess around with the stock version for awhile first.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:17 AM, frob said:

Looking online I only see one person doing it, Riff who just replied above, with his kites flown by others but saying converted by Riff. After some quick web searches I only see results showing kites by Riff and his real life name posted in various locations. In addition to "making of" and flying videos, he posted instructions: http://www.riffclown.com/kites/HQ2.2.4Conversion.pdf

I'm curious if it has quietly become a bigger conversion, or if the ones already done all come from Riff despite publishing the instructions. 

riffclown made public his work and because is having time, technology and passion made the modification for other fliers who are inexperienced or do not have the right conditions. I personally modified a 2.5 symphony, I also modified a 5M Chinese dual parafoil to quad both 1 year before riff to write about. I build for myself 2 Quads Rev general shape but different dimensions  

Some of us have all the tools to make a build but not all of us are so prolific like him from different motives. I know at least 2 people who have in the bag more personal builds than brand names  

On 1/26/2021 at 6:24 PM, Joneo said:

Well I’ve been reading up on your conversions, and a 2.2.4 does sound rather interesting... so maybe eventually but I think I should probably mess around with the stock version for awhile first.

If you do that you will not have the quad experience, will be just another frameless dual line 

35 minutes ago, Edmond Dragut said:

I know at least 2 people who have in the bag more personal builds than brand names 

MY two main bags don't have any brand name kites in them. And they are stuffed pretty tight. One for 72" Kites and one for 1.5 size. There wouldn't be room for too many more...

Brand Name kites go in a 3rd bag that is getting lighter and lighter as time goes by.

20 hours ago, riffclown said:

MY two main bags don't have any brand name kites in them. And they are stuffed pretty tight. One for 72" Kites and one for 1.5 size. There wouldn't be room for too many more...

Brand Name kites go in a 3rd bag that is getting lighter and lighter as time goes by.

I see that on the sale section but you are not on the two people i had in mind. one is in Illinois and second in Michigan.

• 3 months later...
On 5/8/2021 at 9:00 PM, riffclown said:

They are out of stock even at HQKitesUSA.com 

https://hqkitesusa.com/products.asp?cat=94

I've heard rumors that the new batch will be bridled for quad at the 2.2 and 2.5 sizes..

I managed to find a pro 2.2!! I think I will just fly it as a 2 line for now and watch to see if HQ releases a new batch sometime soon. If they do I would buy one of the new ones. As for learning a quad I like the idea of a foil more than replacing spars. I'm still so new to all of this that I don't know what I don't know but I'm learning. May end up getting a 2.5 just to have one.