KiteLife Forum

ISO:Rainbow Stunt Kite(s)

Akiv

Rainbow Stunt Kite(s)

I am looking for Rainbow Stunt Kites. All colors. The Rainbow Stunt kite company was started by Steve Edeiken. I am looking to add to my single kite. Any information is appreciated.

• Advertiser
    Akiv
  • Date
    02/15/2021
  • Price
  • Category
  • Brand
    The Rainbow Kite Company
  • Model
    Rainbow Stunt Kite

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,  I wanted to give you all a little history of the Rainbow Kite company from my perspective   I met Steve Edeiken in the late 70's when he was flying his newly invented Rainbow Stunt Kite on Venice Beach,CA.   Steve was a wonderful friendly,enthusiastic entrepreneur and loved flying his kites.   I was enthralled with his kites and we became friends.  At the time I produced TV commercials for a large advertising agency, and I enlisted Steve to participate in a Peter Pan Peanut Butter commercial performing with a 24 stacked Rainbow kite.   He performed brilliantly and gifted me with a personal stack (12) of Pink and Black stunt kites.   Steve and I stayed in touch until his death.   My recollection is that Steve died launching a 40' kite at a kite show in Washington/Oregon in the early 80's.   Twenty people collectively launched the gigantic kite and Steve got his feet caught in the rope/stings and was lifted off the ground hanging upside down 100 feet in the air.   The controllers/launchers could not bring the kite down because the wind was so strong and Steve was left dangling by his legs and feet until he dropped to his death in 1983.  I'm sure all of you know the sad story.  

I have flown Steve's original kites all over the world in my 40 years of travels and the experience always brings children running to enjoying the experience of trying to catch the tails as they zoom above their heads.     I live in Guatemala now and still spin his original kites with great memories of Steve and his enthusiasm.   I lost touch with his wife Cindy, and his business, but glad to see some enthusiasts are still flying the Rainbow Stunt kite.     Keep Spinning.  

G.Kaney.    Antigua, Guatemala

I have photos of Steve's original gift kites to share.   Can't seem to attach them to this message

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I was 17 when I first visited California in the summer of 1977 for the first time. While there I did and saw some amazing things like going to see Led Zeppelin, Rick Derringer, and Judas Priest at the Oakland Raiders Coliseum with two older biker friends that I met who lived in San Pablo. A scalped ticket cost me $20.00 and I still have the newspaper article where the drummer was booked in Oakland jail for fighting with the promoter. Also visited Fishermans wharf where I went to a kite shop. There I purchased a 6 pack of Rainbow stunt kites in a tube which I still have and another 6 that I bought off eBay a few years ago. One Red, Two Orange, Two Yellow, Two Green, Two Purple different shades of purple, and One White. Still have the original wooden handles also. Only flew them once and didn't want to risk crashing them so I stored them away. Since then I've been back a couple of times and raced a street luge at Laguna Seca and filmed the Guinness Show in Bakersfield with a rocket powered luge. I know this isn't helping you locate any kites but it brought back lots of great memories from Ca.

fastlanerocketluge.com website will expire in May of 22

• Like 1

I stumbled across that familiar plastic tube in a toy store at an outlet mall in Myrtle Beach, SC around '87-88. Went in the store shopping for my 2yo daughter and ended up buying them on impulse not having any idea what a stunt kite was. Rick Kligman discovered me set up on the beach near his store and gave me the back story on the kite and why the company was no longer in business. The fact that I was using a six pack of Rainbows to learn how to fly must have left an impression since he gave me a part time job flying for the shop. I give the credit to Steve Edeiken though, because those kites came with incredibly detailed directions and I studied them religiously. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I acquired a bag of 23 at the end of last year from a gentleman who used to own "Wind Things" in Edinburgh (Scotland) which had been gifted to him by visitors from the US years ago, managed to get 18 in the air recently but they need some TLC

Keith

IMG-20240106-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20240106-WA0009.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 11:54 AM, GKaney said:

Hello,  I wanted to give you all a little history of the Rainbow Kite company from my perspective   I met Steve Edeiken in the late 70's when he was flying his newly invented Rainbow Stunt Kite on Venice Beach,CA.   Steve was a wonderful friendly,enthusiastic entrepreneur and loved flying his kites.   I was enthralled with his kites and we became friends.  At the time I produced TV commercials for a large advertising agency, and I enlisted Steve to participate in a Peter Pan Peanut Butter commercial performing with a 24 stacked Rainbow kite.   He performed brilliantly and gifted me with a personal stack (12) of Pink and Black stunt kites.   Steve and I stayed in touch until his death.   My recollection is that Steve died launching a 40' kite at a kite show in Washington/Oregon in the early 80's.   Twenty people collectively launched the gigantic kite and Steve got his feet caught in the rope/stings and was lifted off the ground hanging upside down 100 feet in the air.   The controllers/launchers could not bring the kite down because the wind was so strong and Steve was left dangling by his legs and feet until he dropped to his death in 1983.  I'm sure all of you know the sad story.  

I have flown Steve's original kites all over the world in my 40 years of travels and the experience always brings children running to enjoying the experience of trying to catch the tails as they zoom above their heads.     I live in Guatemala now and still spin his original kites with great memories of Steve and his enthusiasm.   I lost touch with his wife Cindy, and his business, but glad to see some enthusiasts are still flying the Rainbow Stunt kite.     Keep Spinning.  

G.Kaney.    Antigua, Guatemala

I have photos of Steve's original gift kites to share.   Can't seem to attach them to this message

I met Cindy and she gave me all of Steve's notes on his 24 pack. Later, after she sold the company, I had the manufacturer make some changes for a 30 pack I built. I the added 20 of my 24 pack to the 30 pack and flew 50 at Venice Beach. I still have the 30 pack but haven't flown them in years.

• 1 month later...

I think I have this kite. I don't think it has ever flown. I got a selection from an estate sale. I gathered the kites up and my 6 year old  granddaughter dumped all of the contents of this one on the ground and said "I want to fly this one!". I scooped up the parts and new I needed to do my research. So who can help me?