KiteLife Forum

Quantum repair needed?

DannyB

Flying my Prism Quantum the other day, I noticed that where the lower spreaders insert into the center T-fitting, they no longer slide in and stop. I can insert both spreaders on either side, and one can push the other spreader partially out of the fitting. Has this always been the case (and I never noticed), or did something give way in the center fitting? The net result of this was that my kite is more prone to coming apart when I'm knocking about in a particularly brisk wind.

I'd love to know if this is normal, or if not, if there's something I can do to get it back to the way it was.

Might also check that the ferrule hasn't become 'unglued' from one of the lower spreaders. If so, it may tend to slide a bit out of position -- have even had one fall right out eventually or, worse still, slide inside the spar completely. (Edit: see followup post for thoughts specific to the Quantum and related kites)

A couple of my kites have had an issue that the natural tensions of the kite frame and standoffs tend to wanna sproing (is that a word?) the two lower spreaders apart where the fit of the ferrule into the centre 'T' isn't very snug. The rubber band solution suggested by @cerfvoliste is useful for that. Larkshead the bands on. On one of my kites I've even used one of those hefty rubber bands that broccoli comes packed in, although that is probably overkill. Match the colour to the sail if you like 😉

Edited by midibot
clarification

On now pulling out my Prism Quantum, I see that the centre T setup is slightly different than I had envisioned, in that there is no ferrule in one spreader, but, rather, both spreaders plug into a fitting. Not uncommon, but not what I was thinking when I made reference to a ferrule, which is more typical of kites using larger diameter skyshark type spars. 

I experienced the same as you on my Quantum it looks like, and I had adopted the rubber band method referred to above. In the spirit of a picture being worth 1000 words, I attach one of my setup.

Sorry for any confusion!

https://i.imgur.com/DT5GDVr.jpg

Prism Quantum T bands.jpeg

• Like 1