KiteLife Forum

Bridle adjustment needed on Prism Nexus?

Deeman

I am curious how often you guys would mess with adjusting the bridle on something like a Nexus.  I have about 8-10 sessions and I am still learning and I've flown in some strong-ish winds (15mph) and light winds 8-10mph.  

I have had issues with the kite stalling in lighter winds or during gusty days where the wind is either blowing at 12mph then drops to 3mph.

Is it worth opening Pandora's box with adjusting the bridle?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I find the spot I like in the bridle adjustment and almost never touch it again. Generally, I like to bias towards nose-forward. If the kite's not flying in lower winds, I usually take out a lighter kite. The Nexus likes 5-15mph, and like most Prism kites, it flies with a heavy-butt feel. Doesn't mean it won't fly, it just flies slow... 

If you fly the Nexus in lower winds, it will teach you how to fly a kite like the 4d in zero winds. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deeman said:

I am curious how often you guys would mess with adjusting the bridle on something like a Nexus.  I have about 8-10 sessions and I am still learning and I've flown in some strong-ish winds (15mph) and light winds 8-10mph.  

I have had issues with the kite stalling in lighter winds or during gusty days where the wind is either blowing at 12mph then drops to 3mph.

Is it worth opening Pandora's box with adjusting the bridle?

Thanks!

Absolutely try!

Don’t know If the Nexus comes with a Manual or Field Card, if so check it out if haven’t already. 

But the general rule for duallies: pull in the nose in lighter winds. Simple as that.

Some kites have adjustment knots at the top of the bridle. Some Prisms have you do it in a range between two knots on the bridle; believe sometimes they are even labeled (such as on my Prism Quantum anyways).

But the principles are the same -- shortening the line that goes to the nose (or lengthening its counterpart).

If feasible on this kite you could even wrap the upper bridle leg once round the upper spreader on both sides. Kinda crude, but a quick way to experiment and see what it does. May be overkill.

A very brief search did not turn up a kite specific manual, but Prism’s generic “Two Line Flight Manual” is a good read on this under the tuning section:

https://prismkites.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Dual-Line-Manual.pdf 

There are also other effects of tweaking the bridle including responsiveness and whatnot. Get to know thy bridle.

It is a lifetime journey 😉

I expect others will chime in with more thoughts.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old thread, but I have a Nexus on order and am curious if you came to any conclusions as to how to tune the Nexus for different wind conditions.  I feel this is a skill I am going to have to develop.  

On 7/21/2022 at 11:58 PM, The_Gregors said:

I have a Nexus on order and am curious if you came to any conclusions as to how to tune the Nexus for different wind conditions

Nexus adjustment

At least the Nexus 2.0 comes with a std prussic knot on a pig tail tow point bridle adjustment according to the Prism website (Main > Our Kites > Dual_Line Framed Kites > Nexus 2.0 > Support > Nexus 2.0 Manual > Bridle Overview). It also seems to be a simple but clever limitation of the available range by two overhand knots on each side of the pigtail ("1-1/2in apart").

General adjustment

On any bridle all adjustments should be small, like 1cm/0.5in or less. When finished with the adjustment sliding, hold the prussic and pull the pigtail to lock the prussic and fix the position. Often the factory default setting is marked with a permanent marker dot.

Four general rules for dual line kite bridle adjustment that work for me:

1. Do nothing - keep it at the default factory position for most winds.
  2. In higher winds to still have the stalls available - nose back.
  3. If you have to, to get the kite going in light wind - nose towards you.
  4. In very high winds - nose towards you to relive pressure (or get your vented quad)

The nose away from you comes with the bonus of keen small radius turns. The nose towards you comes with the penalty of large radius turns. Test the nose back setting in higher winds with a (snap) stall or a side slide.

My recommendation to you is to not think so very much about this for your first session with your new Nexus. Instead chose a medium or somewhat lower wind day that will work with the factory default setting. Try the kite with the lines on the field and see if there is some other issue that limits your sessions. Good luck!

(Nope,  I haven't got a Nexus - Only some older Prism duals)

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread.

Just got a Nexus, however the bridles were all untied, in a pile.   Where to start.  I know , outhaulsand inhauls. I bought an adjustable T.  and installed. on bottom spreader. Top spreader was gone. What is the length.  Help ?