KiteLife Forum

End of an Era - R-Sky

jaydub200

Sad news from France.  Roger and Tessa have decided to pull out of the dual line market:

25 years old!
Captain Tricks, Major, Feeling, Cyrius, Histrion, Eden, Maya, Queen Maya, Frezy, Opium, Nirvana, Jordana, Krystal, KFX, NFX, Hobby, Essenciel, Fifteen, Krystal, Shooter, Blvd 'X, Shift, Bird' X, Unik, Next, K07, NSE, Manga, NFX Sport, Wao, Initial, Toxic, Extend, Diablis, Vision, Still, KSE, N3E and all their wind declinations. Bars, Icone, R-tube, accessories...
25 years of projects, creations, design, competitions, challenges, 25 years of victories, emotion, passion, 25 years of sharing and happiness with you!
Today the kite is different, we helped it grow, we helped it build itself with all the energy that characterizes us.
But the challenges have moved away. The lack of motivation, enthusiasm, the general level down, the desertion of riders, non-existent manufacturers, mass closed shops, a federation not very inclined to modernity, to make this sport, a great sport, do not we don't even believe that this could happen one day.
So we decided to stop the production of acrobatic kites.
However, our passion remains intact, and we will use our energy to other aspects of kites, event organizing, competition and producing large kites.
Naturally, the wind and kite experience will have led us to the decoration of the street skies of city centers, and aerial architecture will be part of our upcoming activities
We are also working on the creation of ephemeral museums of sculptures on intra-muros sand.
It is with great pleasure that we will meet you on our next organizations.
25 years of emotions, with a team and riders we deeply loved and still love.
A big page is turning for R-SKY, however, with still some great ideas in the boxes...
Thank you all for participating near or far in this great adventure.
Roger and Sylvie

• Like 2

Oh, my. I'd better sit down and think about that awhile.

Have derived good pleasure from some of their offerings.  The Nirvana in particular was a landmark for me but there are others, too. Along with some perhaps not so much.

The end of an era in that corner of the kite world.

I offer up heartfelt thanks, for everything.

• Like 2

THANK YOU for your creations, for your flying dreams and for joy to let us play with them,  I perfectly understand your reasons to stop. is unbelievable how much human species regressed in the past 10-20 years. Kids are not kids, teenagers preferer confinement spaces and young adults enjoy more the clubs and do nothing. Is sad to realize that almost all outdoor activities soon will be just remembered by some and practiced by almost nobody   

• Like 1

There was a time that the Nirvana was THE sportkite. I've gotten to fly them, but somehow one never made it into my bag.

As with many things, I guess I always had time. I guess not...

Put that on a list with Focus  kites and Sturdy kites as well.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

One thing I have learned while in the pursuit of many hobbies over my lifetime is this.  You have to ride the wave while you can.  So glad I acquired some R-Sky kites.  Like Rob said the Nirvana was legendary.  My all time favorite image that I took of a kite is from the first flight of my Nirvana WW.

Into the sun

large.56f83b6f7b059_Intothesun(3400x2122).jpg

73 from SHBKF

• Like 2

Indeedly....how right you are!! I'm sure a whole slew of us have been lucky in acquiring some nifty flying units that just aren't around or made anymore. Some being cherished more than others....I have some kites that I will not let go even though they may be flown very rarely. 

Having said that.....never say never. I always said I would never sell my old Moog Minimoog, or a '63 set of Gretsch drums....but I did so there ya go. These were tools of my trade and were looked at a little differently than kites....lol. For example an email addy I have goes kites and drums.....NOT drums and kites....;)

I never got to experience any R Sky kites and I've obviously missed out on the Bird X glider, but good on the folks who ran the company....had a pretty good run at that!!!

bt

Most excellent pic btw!!!!!

• Like 1

I bought my first Nirvana in 2003. Flew it for a couple of months and just couldn't connect with it. I'd been flying Prism and Blue Moon kites. Then I slowly started to understand what an amazing kite it was. Straight tracking and trickable, very trickable as it turned out. Eventually I acquired 8 of them! Sold my competition set of 4 a couple of years ago, and am now down to 2. The UL is still my favorite goto kite. My romance with R-Sky was great fun, their kites smelled of cigarette smoke out of the bag. Everything changes. 

• Like 1