KiteLife Forum

Long rev handle hack

audioRob

Going along with the brass tubing idea seen recently i decided to take the idea a bit further and refine it.. and hack it a bit more.

Take a set of 'short' rev handles and easily lengthen them for better wind range, more control and significantly improved 'tricks'.

P1040787.jpg

First get a 4" .2400 solid carbon ferrule then get yourself a CHEAP p400 (camo! or spare) or even 3wrap rev rod. Cut it to 6-8". I like 8".

Now rip the bottom ring and cap off your rev handle. Wet the inside and wet the ferrule... then be liberal with some of this stuff.. (which works much better than gorilla or elmers alternatives for this)..

P1040790.jpg

You'll find the .2400 ferrule fits loosely into the end of your rev handle. Well stick it in there, and the p400 as well while making sure the ferrule is 2" on each side.

Let the handle sit so the p400 is in there EVENLY. I just sat it on the old rev caps so it was balanced.

The sumo glue will foam, and just check up on it every 5 minutes to wipe down (not away) the excess.

In about 12 hours come back with 2 nocks (I used fsd) and some black electrical tape or your choice of covering.

Glue the nocks on as you wish.

Now very neatly wrap the tape around the handle while very tightly wrapping extra around the portions where the handle and tube meet up.

P1040788.jpg

Now take some bridle line, I choose some heavy duty Level One spectra-cored line and made new loops along with adjustment points on the top. I strongly suggest adding longer than you think is needed on the top if you're going to go up to 8" addition.

Good luck! These can REALLY take a beating and if you're getting into rev tricks you'll be very happy ;)

Take a set of 'short' rev handles and easily lengthen them for better wind range, more control and significantly improved 'tricks'.

I didn't go quite that far but I have started using my Blast handles to fly all my Revs... longer than the standard 1.5 handles and much longer than the speed series...

I find that they give me much better control over all my Revs... and one consistant thing amongst all of them...

Now, if there was only a way to get rid of all the knots at the handles as that's where I have all my problems...

I use the old Rev I SUL handles on all Revs... Never needed more.

I do to. Except I'd rather have short handles on the Rev. II, but usually don't.

The main reason I use the long throw handles, is to save my wrists. Less movement of your wrist to control the kite means less chance I'll develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

BB

Penny

• 3 weeks later...

I did something similar on this rainy morning. I had some unused SUL Rev II handles (kite was lost/stolen years ago). I extended them with some old SkyShark VIIp scraps to 15 inches.

I glued 1-inch long 2400 and 1580 carbon tubes in the end so that I could hide the leader's knot inside the tube (leader fits through 1580 but not the knot). A vinyl endcap with the leader coming through completes it very cleanly with no snag points.

Altogether, each handle is approximately 1/2oz lighter than my 12-inch handles that came with my 1.5 SLE, but should give me 3 inches more throw for lower wind conditions.

I could produce photos if anyone is interested.

--Lee

I've tried a few handles 16" maybe 21" too. Those types of lengths are usually used with stacks of Rev's.

I'll keep the SUL handles and love the lighter graphite handles.

But I'll bet you'll be able to trick a rev more w/longer handles, but they should be sensitive.

BB

Penny

SURE!

I'd like to fly that "inverted up & over" like Scottie Weider does. His reverse flight looks darn impressive on 14 inch indoor REV handles, . . . wouldn't you who've seen him agree?

I'd almost hate to see what would happen w/my 17" throw Ti handles in his trusty grips. At least he'd put on a good show, myabe I'd even learn something too!

I have to agree that Scott is one of my all time favorite Rev fliers. Is it his handle or his adjustments? It's like he told me, if the adjustments/bridle were lost he'd be lost trying to get that reverse back. I dind't notice that his handles were extra long. Longer then the normal SUL handles? If all goes well, I should see him in Michigan in October. I'll double check those handles. BB Penny

i beefed up my indoor as well by adding a little bit of sail tabe on the endcaps i fly mine both indoor and outdoor and found the only flaw with this kite is the weak end cap setup however it does look eazy ti fix if i break the small tie that holds them on

dang rob, nice haxors

? Who's Rob? What's a haxors?

Anthony, ~It's not hard to replace the indoor rev caps w/outdoor ones at all. In fact, I didn't even use bungee, just 90 lb line and tied them on. As long as they are even, it should not be a problem.

I find no difference in it's flying characteristics. Of course, that's me. But if you do fly your indoor a lot, you risk the chance of the cap coming off. The knot slips thru the indoor cap.

Have a great weekend!

BB

Penny