KiteLife Forum

Info on Freilein Windrider Quads?

Alex D

Freilein makes several Windrider versions. I don't know anything about them nor can I find much. I have a Vertigo and it is a fine kite. Can someone explain the difference between their Windrider models? Size is about the same of all of them between 230 and 241 cm. Many color and vent versions on each model available: Windrider, Windrider II, Windrider II X and Windrider III (not interested in the SUL models)

OK I'm not absolutely sure about this but I know the Exodus and Vertigo models are Ocean Shores Kites (OSK) models.  I'm speculating the WindRider models are other models from Freilein that to my knowledge are not associated with OSK.

Now IF that statement is true, I'll just say that Andy has a great grip on Quality control and very exacting standards. I do not know if the other models would meet the same standard.

• Like 1

From my search here the Vertigo and Exodus are made to spec and quality by OSKUSA ... riffclown inquired with OSK and posted here on the quality of the OSKUSA Freileins in detail .... the Windrider are the chinese "original" Freilein kites. They used to have sketchy quality going by the comments then, but this is from posts here over 5 years old and I saw one here who got a Windrider III SUL and it didn't sound too bad ( https://kitelife.com/forum/topic/10645-my-new-freilein-windrider-iii-ul-ultralight-quad/?tab=comments#comment-82509 ). Emma's Kites sells all three versions ... might be worth a try since the price point is also okay. Impressive are the many color and vent options quite nicely organized as well.)

I think I kinda sorta figured it out ... Size on all is the same. WR , WR II and WR II X are listed slightly larger only because of their different "extended" frame design. The Windrider II is the original design PC 20 poly with verticals connector making them stick over the LE. The Windrider II X is the same kite merely with PC 31 poly used. Now the Windrider III is a new frame design with PC 31 poly and new frame connectors keeping the verticals below the LE and the verticals cap knots inside a pocket. I assume the sail on all of them is identical.

For a full sail WR III at 189 for kite only this is in line with the OKUSA Vertigo, but not better. However for the many vented options and the UL at the same price these WR III are a deal if they are well made and designed to fly well.

Emma kite also shows a nice chart of vent and frame options (see below) that exactly shows where in the frame the T1 T2 or T3 rods are used on each model.

windrider_1024x1024.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 6:01 PM, riffclown said:

OK I'm not absolutely sure about this but I know the Exodus and Vertigo models are Ocean Shores Kites (OSK) models.  I'm speculating the WindRider models are other models from Freilein that to my knowledge are not associated with OSK.

Now IF that statement is true, I'll just say that Andy has a great grip on Quality control and very exacting standards. I do not know if the other models would meet the same standard.

I would agree for the full sail models, but the UL and many vented options of the WR III at 189 are a great deal if the design and quality are decent. It seems from my linked WR III SUL thread aboe that the WR III is a signifcant improvement above the other WR models. I also assume one would want to go for the WR III because of the design improvements and frame options ... the vented versions on the WR II and WR II X are even better deals if they improved quality.

I own a number of the Windrider II models, and one III model, and perhaps can share a little bit on them to assist. [edit: I was writing this when some of the above posts were made and before I saw them]

The Windrider II comes in four variants that I am aware of: standard (std), vented (vtd), extra vented (x vtd), and extra extra vented (xx vtd). The venting on the the vtd model is approximately 25% of the sail area, and, as you would expect, the percentage goes up with extra venting. Unlike the Revolution style of almost vertical panels of venting, the Freilein line has the vents in a different pattern as may be seen in the images on the Emma Kites website. 

I got my kites from Emma Kites when it was still associated with AliExpress, however, I gather that Emma is no longer selling through that ebay-like venue, but, rather directly. When I bought my first kite there I had no experience with AliExpress, but they have an elaborate system of funds being held in escrow which appealed to me at the time as an additional level of comfort that the transaction will be completed properly. My transactions with Emma Kites have been entirely satisfactory although shipping does take quite a period of time in transit, probably not helped by these Covid times. I am in Canada, for what that is worth, and Emma is in China.

Another point to consider is whether to go with the PC20 cloth or PC31 cloth.  I had the choice of either cloth in any of the II models and went with a mix in different kites. The former is supposedly lighter, although it does not seem to make a hugely material difference in overall weight (I have not checked this point). The PC31 is more like what we know as icarex (and may even be that, although they don’t say). As such it is less crinkly than PC20 in sound, and is perhaps less likely to hold creases. The price difference between the two sails was approximately US$40, but the kites are otherwise identical in terms of construction and materials used including fittings, bungees, spars, etc.

The spars used are called Crystal, and they are graduated in weight and strength, with the heaviest, being the T3 spar, being found in the highly vented kites. T2s are used in the standard version.

I also got the UL (not SUL) version of the next generation of Windrider (Windrider III). It sports an even lighter spar, the T1 as stated in the my review of that kite. The III versions also have different graphics, and some other changes as detailed in the aforesaid review. Mine is in PC31. This kite I actually got from a different vendor, also based in China, but on ebay.

I have a number of both Revolution and Freilein kites, quad and dual, and I would say that the construction quality of the Freileins that I have is probably a step above that of my Revolutions in terms of uniformity and detail. 

In terms of durability, I have had most of these kites for over a year and they have been flown fairly extensively, up to about 10 hours each, and, so far, the durability has been excellent. I have neither busted a spar, had a stitch come undone, nor had any bits fall off!

I hope that this helps.

• Like 1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Alex D said:

Emma kite also shows a nice chart of vent and frame options (see below) that exactly shows where in the frame the T1 T2 or T3 rods are used on each model.

windrider_1024x1024.jpeg

This is a terrific chart. It helped me visualise how to 'mix and match' spars as I had read previously in this forum, for tuning for performance and winds and personal taste. (Such as using a stiffer centre section on the leading edge.) The graphics were good for understanding what comes with each level of venting in the III lineup as well.

As mentioned elsewhere I got some T0s to play with the lower end of my UL version and will try it with a T1 centre section (and possibly others) in addition to a straight T0 throughout. 

This will help me assess how much of a difference the 'bend' makes in the LE in a given wind and thus help me establish druthers.

All in good fun 😉