KiteLife Forum

Axle tutorial

JWharton

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for this! It provided incentive for me to give it a try. The long arm movements, together with slack line management proved to be the key and my success rate improved with repetition, as one might expect. It gave me a chance to try it with my shorter 33 foot lines, which I suspect may be of some assistance for early attempts.

As a side note, I am also drawing attention to the spelling of the word “axle“ in order that anyone doing a search on this site might also be drawn to the alternate spelling, axel. I understand that this latter name is based on the figure skating move similarly named involving a jump and completing a type of spin around the axis. As I understand it, it was named after Axel Paulson, the Norwegian figure skater who invented, or made popular, the move in the late 1800s. I am Canadian, so I know about this stuff 🙂

Wiki: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel_jump

• Thanks 1

So cool my video gave you some impetus to go out and try, that’s the great thing about the kite community we inspire each other.

As to the spelling I live in the UK, the word axle, “the original, Middle English word for axle was axle-tree, which came from a combination of the Old Norse word oxhull and the old English eax, both of which mean “axis”, or “line around which the body rotates”.

As opposed to Axel which is a real old religious name, meaning “father is peace”.

Spelling differences come up all the time in the kiting world, differences in language worldwide, I will keep spelling it “axle”.

It’s all for the love of kites🙏🧡