KiteLife Forum

looking to jump into Quads and wanted to know what kite you started on and if you have any suggestions?

someguykiting

So I am considering getting a quad Kite and want to know if you have any tips for purchasing one?

what brands do you have experience with?

what would you have done differently?

do you have a suggestions for first set of handles, line?

any brand, models I should avoid as a beginner?

I see many started on the first Revs but I see mixed reviews on the newer models like the XX.  

love to hear what the experienced flyers have to say.  Thanks for replying!

1st Welcome to KiteLife.

Tip 1.. Try before you buy

I have owned Revs, Freileins, Phoenix,  and a wide range of quads.I still own most of those and what I've sold was only because of overlap and not because of issues. Most of the quads made right now are of at least decent quality. A few like the Djinn really stand out. The most common stick point with Revs is Where they added Springs to everything, Some like them some do not. (I'm of the latter opinion)

The best advice available will be find some local fliers and try what they have. It would be worth your time and money to  fly WITH someone. You would not only get to try before you buy, you'd also most likely get some solid baseline pointers. The only absolute advice is that no one's advice is absolute. What works for me may not work for you.

You are only about 100 miles or so from OSK. A Day trip might be in your best interest.  When you do purchase  "A" kite, start with what would be appropriate for most of your regular wind conditions.  While no single kite can do it all. Limiting yourself to a  kite that you can only fly a few days a year kind of sucks the fun out of the hobby.

NOTE, Do invest in a good set of Handles and lines. They will be your common control as you move between kites.

Welcome to the forum sir.
As Riff says above if you’re able, make a trip to fly with others before you invest in a new kite. Although I got a lot of hours out of my first kite and it served its purpose well, I don’t even put it in my bag anymore. I flew alone for the first 5 months and that kite took a hell of a beating. However as soon as I started to meet up with experienced flyers I quickly realized that I need something of better quality.
The biggest factor of meeting up with folks is the learning curve. I learned more about all things pertaining to flying a quad in that first day with the kite club than I had learned on my own in 5-6 months.
Hand /wrist movements.
Handle settings.
Line management.
Sail loading.
Feet/leg positioning.
Things to practice.
Just a few things that experienced flyers told me about that I had not ever thought of.
That knowledge and being able to try their kites is priceless.
Best of luck and Keep in touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, riffclown said:

I have owned Revs, Freileins, Phoenix,  and a wide range of quads.I still own most of those and what I've sold was only because of overlap and not because of issues. Most of the quads made right now are of at least decent quality. A few like the Djinn really stand out. The most common stick point with Revs is Where they added Springs to everything, Some like them some do not. (I'm of the latter opinion)

riffclown forget to mention another new quad come on the market, Fulcrum. Is a good versatile wind ranges and robust quad but not to easy for learning do the perfect simetry between top and botton witch at the beghining may be confusing. Main advantage is you may launch from any kite position eliminating "the walk of shame" but...without this walk of shame sometime you loose some of determination to learn more and better 

1 hour ago, Edmond Dragut said:

riffclown forget to mention another new quad come on the market, Fulcrum. Is a good versatile wind ranges and robust quad but not to easy for learning do the perfect simetry between top and botton witch at the beghining may be confusing. Main advantage is you may launch from any kite position eliminating "the walk of shame" but...without this walk of shame sometime you loose some of determination to learn more and better 

That was an intentional omission. Like the HQ Mojo, I don't consider the Fulcrum a beginner quad. If you already know quads then it is an easy learning step. If you don't know quads it might not be the best platform to learn on. When recommending beginner quads, I tend to stick to Hadzicki style sails..

some quads lend themselves to push-pull (Spirit and TC Ultras) as opposed to wrist rotation, (Revolution derivatives)

Some are best at no wind vs. beach gusting

no kite enjoys turbulent air

some fliers like short string lengths and some go long

"take the best, dump the rest"... = Everyone will offer advice, take their best stuff, make it your own, anything that doesn't fit you perfectly discard, repeat until you have your own unique style, visually recognizable, not by the kites you fly, NO by the way you fly kites!

Enjoy the journey and your best investment is still a road trip (to meet up with others, you want to learn & they want to share)

I have about 60 quads in all different styles and configurations, but the first one was a "Backtracker", followed by two Rev2s used from the Kiteloft, then a vented and a SUL 1.5 (it rained the day of delivery). My favorite kite is probably the Zen, I have owned four of them. Each was repaired repeatedly by Master surgeon before funeral rites were offered up.

I am a big fan of Eliot Shook and Bazz Poulter as kite builders.  They will do exactly what you've paid for, regardless if that means deviating from the approved standard or trying something kooky out. (SUL leading edge sleeve on high wind vented kites, covers over knots, extra reinforcing patches, custom materials)

What I like, you very well may not, choices are good enough for everyone to share the sky and enjoy each others company.

Welcome!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, riffclown said:

That was an intentional omission. Like the HQ Mojo, I don't consider the Fulcrum a beginner quad

mi bad then. I was not expected to be intentional how long was not any connection about shape and learning. Mojo with a small adjustment of the bridle is at the same level with EXP. my opinion 

From beginner (with only 1 year experience) to beginner. BUT this is only my personal opinion:

--> 1. look for experienced pilots to fly with. 2. look for experienced pilots to fly with. 3. look for experienced pilots to fly with.

do you have a suggestions for first set of handles, line?
--> It doesn't matter. The main thing is snagless and with a knot ladder. Buy used with already tied knot ladder if necessary.

any brand, models I should avoid as a beginner?
--> Buy used instead of new. Buy 2 (used) for different wind ranges (instead of 1 new kite).

If you don't have a pilot in your area: buy and sell, test and practice according to the video tutorials here.

I see many started on the first Revs but I see mixed reviews on the newer models like the XX.  
--> My first quad was also an XX. However, I broke two rods in gusts. (Never had a broken bar since, by the way.) The bars are way too expensive and the Reflex spring unnecessary.

Rather go directly to the 1.5 Shape.

• Like 1

I started my quad journey with an SLE on 80ft lines, self taught for my first 3-4 months until I found this site.

I've owned revs, phoenix, bazzer eyes along with a few others, I found most started to fall apart within 3-4 months usually problems with the leading edge, I now just have my Djinns and have off loaded everything else.

I'd say definitely watch and study all the Kitelife tutorials, setup and demantle everything the same way each time, will cut down on problems for sure eventually you'll find your own way.

If you can find others to fly with cool, that's a rare situation for me I'm pretty much a solo flyer, plenty of online resources to get you going.

Enjoy your journey for me it's a real source.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bunduki Vlieger said:

From beginner (with only 1 year experience) to beginner. BUT this is only my personal opinion:

--> 1. look for experienced pilots to fly with. 2. look for experienced pilots to fly with. 3. look for experienced pilots to fly with.

the best of the best short advice !!! all others are valid to, most of the time we learn be best way on the hard way, you may be that guy but that is easy to be avoided with a 150-200 miles trip to meet an experienced pilot. Gas you will find easy on front to try to replace a spar or repair the sail 

--> My first quad was also an XX. However, I broke two rods in gusts. (Never had a broken bar since, by the way.) The bars are way too expensive and the Reflex spring unnecessary.

Rather go directly to the 1.5 Shape.

Any 1.5 brand is good. depending how serios you want to fly buy advanced models on front entry levels. on long run that will save you money 

any brand, models I should avoid as a beginner?
--> Buy used instead of new. Buy 2 (used) for different wind ranges (instead of 1 new kite).

check eBay, here on Sell section, on marketplace of Facebook, any used kite for begining is better than a new one till you learn to avoid crashing.

DO NOT FORGET, buy the first sail acordingly with the winds on your area. the wrong sail will not give you the chance to advance fast enough before the frustration to kick in and make you lose the intrest. The wind media on your area seams to be 13 Mph (http://www.usa.com/camano-island-wa-weather.htm) so I sugest you to start with a mid vented sail witch will give you from 5 to 12 wind range without to be to less or to much to fight with. In time you may go with a full sail for lover than 7 and full vent for more than 12. an extra vent will follow for sure in time to cover that special days with hard winds  

• Like 2
  • Like 1

Of all the things my neighbor flagged me down on my way home from work.  He and his wife stopped and told me the Secretary of the state kite association told them over the weekend I had signed up.  They both fly and make quads.  They offered to show me the ropes and try out a few different kites.  They also gave me some connections and gave us some campground tips for the the kite festival in Long Beach this summer.  I don’t know who was more excited me or them.  Either way I am great full for all of the comments and how open the community seems to be.  Could not ask for nicer people. 

cheers!

Jerry  

• Like 1
  • Like 2