KiteLife Forum

ITW kirin dragon kite

Windward

What do you want to know about it? Are you asking about that specific kite? Or is this a "want to buy" type post where you're looking for something visually similar?  If so, what's the price range?

Their ITW branded kites are typically pretty good. Not Peter Lynn good, but far better than Walmart specials.  ITW fills a good slot in the beginner/intermediate market.

Hello frob   

Thank you for responding to my post appreciated, yes WTB but not necessarily that specific kite, just that design aspect in a dragon kite .

Like an old White Bird, ITW assured me that they have the very best in quality, and performance, in a dragon their Kirin line of kites, closest you will find to the design of an original White Bird, however only to found out that their line of Kirin dragons have been out of production ? So this has sent me looking again. Any help appreciated  

• 3 weeks later...

The ITW Beauty & Beast dragon kites are very good kites IMHO.  I bought the Beauty kite first for my daughter to fly at the Oregon coast a few years ago at the kite store in Newport. It was so nice to fly that I went back the next day and bought myself the Beast. I would also like the Cobra to finish out the trio.

I was lucky to find them. They are what got me back into the joy of kites again. Good luck to you finding one.

John

Hi Jeepster360 

Thanks for responding to my post appreciated,I have seen the Beauty for sale, my guess it was not as popular as the other two were. Thought about buying it however was concerned that the main color that makes up the kite the light yellow)  would be susceptible to getting dirty? The cobra looking great loved the red and blue color patterns in the tail, ITW told me they have no current plans to produce more of that particular design, my guess it must have been the most intricate to produce, of the 3, however they did tell me they are going to do another run of the Beast, was quite popular from what a gather. Seeing you have two of these kites would you say the Beast looks far more spectular in the sky over the Beauty.

Thanks David 

Beast does "pop" more than beauty in the sky. I will say the both look good though, especially together. Our Beauty is a slightly better flyer than Beast for some reason. Every once in a while he will take a hard left and come down if you don't catch it in time.

I don't know where you fly but I don't think beauty getting dirty would be a problem for you. If you want one of these I would get it while you can find her now. Glad to hear they might make another run of Beast.

I'm wanting/looking for a George Peter's twin tail dragon myself.

John

Hi John 

Mainly just fly at the beach when I go or a park here and there, my guess no two kites are exactly alike 

slight difference in construction and design your comment your dragon Beauty kite slightly better flyer !

difference in balance of the kite perhaps, all this talk about dragon kites various posts I posted on here all started when I was looking for an old White Bird dragon, I think in simple terms they were the best ever made they even made really big dragon kites I believe up to 150 feet made right in Oregon amazing kites!! 

wish the owner would re release his patented licensed design, to some really reputable kite company 

George Peters I have the Prairie from his line of kites, does he still make and design kites do you know 

maybe he could make the twin tail dragon special order or was that design exclusive to ITW  might not hurt to asked - David 

I don't know if George Peter's is still doing kites. I think it was an ITW executive anyway. I'm sure it cost too much now to make because of all the individual cloth pieces and stitching involved. Unfortunately kite flying is a dying art/pastime I'm afraid.........even on the coast. 

I did buy the grand kids the 3 styles of ITW dragons with the sun, moon & dragon for there trip to Lincoln city coming up over the fourth of July. I hope to get them into the kite game early. The dragons have a light pull and dance so nice that it keeps things interesting.  They like my beauty & beast alot. Now they will have their own! It is a worthwhile investment to me just to get them unplugged and outside for awhile.

Good luck in what ever kite you find next. You can't go wrong with Beauty IMHO. she is a great kite.

John