KiteLife Forum

Airplane Travels with Kites

Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for allowing me to join the community, it's great to be here. 

I'm wondering what recommendations you have for storage when traveling by airplane.

What type of cases do you use? 

What restrictions, if any, should I be aware of? 

I don't know what I don't know so any insights you care to share would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, Brian 

There's an old discussion on it here: 

The type of bag that JB notes isn't really available anymore, so I was looking for something similar last year.  This was just before the lockdowns.  I'm actually about to use my bag tomorrow for the first time,  so I guess I can report back how it went after the trip.

• Like 1

Orvis large fishing rod case, holds 12-20 kites, fully padded, fits in the overhead compartment, used a bunch of times w/various

the latest carry-it-all/25FM.html?adv=621658&cm_mmc=plas-G-_-brand-_-20172282745-_-25FM0153&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6umps4O38AIVkfvjBx3NTweJEAQYASABEgLV0vD_BwE

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DonFibonacci said:

There's an old discussion on it here: 

The type of bag that JB notes isn't really available anymore, so I was looking for something similar last year.  This was just before the lockdowns.  I'm actually about to use my bag tomorrow for the first time,  so I guess I can report back how it went after the trip.

I was looking through previous threads but apparently my Search-fu isn't as strong as it could be. Thank you very much! 

5 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

Orvis large fishing rod case, holds 12-20 kites, fully padded, fits in the overhead compartment, used a bunch of times w/various

the latest carry-it-all/25FM.html?adv=621658&cm_mmc=plas-G-_-brand-_-20172282745-_-25FM0153&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6umps4O38AIVkfvjBx3NTweJEAQYASABEgLV0vD_BwE

Thank you Paul - I was looking at similar on Amazon and wasn't sure I'd be able to get it in overhead. 

I'm back from my weekend trip.  I used an adidas Unisex Utility Wheeled Bat Bag with my OSKUSA Quad Kite Roll-Up Bag inside.  I had to cut out one of the inside pockets of the bat bag in order to be able to fit the quad bag inside, and it just barely fits lengthwise.

I packed my other clothes and gear loose around the quad bag.  I packed for three days, but I easily could have fit twice the clothes or more.  Next time I might try some internal stuff sacks or bags like what JB mentioned in the old post I referenced, because by the time I got to Long Beach, my clothes were sort of jumbled all over the place.  Not a big deal, just a little annoyance.

When loaded, the bag won't stand up on its own.  If I needed to stand it up, I had to turn it around and lean it against something to keep the wheels off the ground.  Other than that, I was happy with it.

I checked the bag; it wouldn't work as a carry-on. 

• Like 1