KiteLife Forum

Freilein WindRider 2 info?

Bigsnaff

I was recently grounded on a 20+mph windy/gusty day and I need a vented kite. Thinking about adding a Freilein Windrider II x vent or xx vent in pc20 specifically because I'm just starting out and they look like a screaming deal at $139 kite only from emmakites. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on these kites? Anyone know how the pc20 has held up/performed over time? I just received a vented Windrider 2 in pc20. It looks pretty sweet and came in a very reasonable week and a half. I'm so new to this I'm fairly certain I wouldn't know the difference in performance between this and a Djinn and at 1/3 the price it kinda makes sense.  Unless someone thinks this kite will get up in the middle of the night and murder me, I'm going to order a xx vent in pc20 and should have a decent beginner's quiver for cheap. Here is a pic of the vented I just got

IMG_20210608_213618168.jpg

I just got this response from Emmakites regarding wind ranges for the Windrider 2. I didn't expect a response but I figured it was worth a shot and it was nice to see they respond!

Hi Phil,

This is Lynn from emma kites.

Thank you so much for your interest in our kites.

If it's the Freilein quad line kite that you'd like to purchase, here are the wind ranges:

It needs a run to start flying the kites when in the wind of 3~6MPH, light breeze.

For standard, vented, X vented type, the best flying wind is: 7~21 MPH

For XX vented type, the best flying wind is: 11~27 MPH

Please don't hesitate to contact me if there is any question.

Best regards,

Lynn

The Emmakites wind ranges seem reasonable as far as they go, and in accordance with my general experience with Windrider IIs (the lower wind comment may be a suggestion that one may have to take a step back while launching at the bottom end). I have the Std, Vented, X Vented and XX Vented. 

Give your Vented a go and see how you like it before leaping, perhaps. I like mine but find I prefer a good 15kph (10mph) to fly it comfortably, and it is good to ~25kph (16 mph though will handle to 20+). 

My XX is good (for me) from 20mph on up. Have flown it comfortably up to 35mph-ish but that may be pushing it for regular full time flying (for me anyways). Capable of lower; more work and switching of knots. 

After that I might start to wish I had one of those flying frame things like a Xanadu or something. 

In respect of the cloth used: to date, the PC20 versions are holding up okay -- no rips or tears or holes developing yet on the most used. Wrinkles and fold marks are appearing but are not visible at over 8 feet or so. The PC31 versions are slightly softer cloth, less krinkly but more $$. Value for money wise, the PC20 is great so far. Your experience with your new Vented may be your guide, if you have the patience.

All that said, I am not hard on my kites generally speaking. These are my experiences. So ymmv as always.

PS: so far, no middle of the night incidents to report. Thankfully. 😉

• Thanks 1

The "running start" is a few quick steps backwards combined with a good pop or double-pop with the handles. Your standard launch technique won't get it more than just momentarily off the ground. Needs a bit more oomph in that wind range to get above the slower ground wind (in most situations, not all).

17 hours ago, midibot said:

The Emmakites wind ranges seem reasonable as far as they go, and in accordance with my general experience with Windrider IIs (the lower wind comment may be a suggestion that one may have to take a step back while launching at the bottom end). I have the Std, Vented, X Vented and XX Vented. 

Give your Vented a go and see how you like it before leaping, perhaps. I like mine but find I prefer a good 15kph (10mph) to fly it comfortably, and it is good to ~25kph (16 mph though will handle to 20+). 

My XX is good (for me) from 20mph on up. Have flown it comfortably up to 35mph-ish but that may be pushing it for regular full time flying (for me anyways). Capable of lower; more work and switching of knots. 

After that I might start to wish I had one of those flying frame things like a Xanadu or something. 

In respect of the cloth used: to date, the PC20 versions are holding up okay -- no rips or tears or holes developing yet on the most used. Wrinkles and fold marks are appearing but are not visible at over 8 feet or so. The PC31 versions are slightly softer cloth, less krinkly but more $$. Value for money wise, the PC20 is great so far. Your experience with your new Vented may be your guide, if you have the patience.

All that said, I am not hard on my kites generally speaking. These are my experiences. So ymmv as always.

PS: so far, no middle of the night incidents to report. Thankfully. 😉

Great feedback! Thank you! Patience is not a virtue of mine - one xx vented pc20 on its way!👍 Between my 3winds UL, Rev EXP, WR2 vented and xx vented, I should be covered!

20 hours ago, Bigsnaff said:

Great feedback! Thank you! Patience is not a virtue of mine - one xx vented pc20 on its way!👍 Between my 3winds UL, Rev EXP, WR2 vented and xx vented, I should be covered!

It's ok. You can never have enough quad-line kites, or dual-line or single for that matter.

still young if that is all you have, give another year, and let us know what is in your bag😇

about wind range: on the paper is one on the field is a bit different. a standard will need 3 mph and steps back to launch but to maintain the fly is depending by the pilot and that may happen even at 1 mph with stepping back and hovering in reverse for recovery how makatakam said. for vent, full vent and megaevent "reaccommodated" wind speed is more than informational, your flying abilities are the ones who will make the difference on the lower range. Yes, you will need a minimum wind speed for each of them but again your abilities are the one who dictate that real minimum necessary. The maximum range is more dictated by the frame and your willing to fight with the pulling.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...