KiteLife Forum

Reverse slide

Stef stef

Hello everyone. This am I tried reverse slide. I understood the principle very well on the one hand but impossible to do it on the other. Leading edge to the left I turn 180 degrees and let slip until I find myself in reverse. So here I am, leading edge down, sailing from left to right. Once I get to the right when I try the impossible return. The kite falls.

If once I get to the right I turn 180 degrees again the reverse slide is OK for me.

Could you explain to me why?

Thank you

You've answered your own question as with a turn you provide the acceleration needed......with no turn you have to accelerate the kite yourself. Not to worry....reversing/mirror imaging/going from the dominant side/hand to the "weaker" side/hand can be initially tricky in any maneuver....no biggie.  In this case you have the double whammy of the kite upside down which reverses things again. These things aren't neccessarily given away so just fly and practise more and it will come when you least expect it.

One thing to do is to "own your inverted hover" at the wind windows edge after the slide across. Hover the kite at the edge, and experiment with little push/pull motions to change the way the kite is facing the wind as you'll need to get the kite accelerating (what the turn did) back the other way.

You can also invert the kite in the middle of the window and slide back and forth a bit....say...20 ft one way....back to the middle...then 20 ft the other way with these small push/pull motions....yes just like a dual line push/pull but very very slight.....while still maintaining the hover. As you refine your movements widen your slides until you're able to slide across the whole window back and forth without any turns.

Own your hover.....

bt

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed the only secret is the practice.

Reverse hover has been a success for me on both sides since this am. I may have found the secret😜

I will take your advice and try the same thing over a short distance.

I also practiced on the clock.

High position OK left position OK, low position OK, and the drama approaches because when on the right the kite falls like a stone.

If I do it the other way around same problem on the left ... it's pretty frustrating.

Stef

for sure dominant hand play a role here but also pay attention at the wind window, if you are to far out kite is falling at the stop to mirroring the revers. a help here is to make some steps back to increase the pressure in sail till the wind will do the rest after couple of fits back in.

a second factor is the line length and strength who create drag and at the edge of wind window forcing the kite to turn more then wanted and expected, you will find that if you use shorter or thinner lines may do better  

Thank you for this info. The window of ve t is more than respected because like that I have the necessary tension.

Regarding my lines I have 45 kg for 25m long. My environment does not allow me any taller. I even wonder if shorter might not be better for me. 🤔

The hardest thing for me is to start from left to right ... You will tell me normal, you are right-handed ....

I will continue to work over and over again ..

25M x 45KG is perfectly fine.. Practice hovering in the centerof the window and move your kite left and right across the wind window concentrating on not changing altitude when you change direction.. You'll find near the center it's easy but as you get wider and wider you have to exercise more control.. As others have said, Coming from the outside in is much easier when you use the edge of the window to give the kite that initial push..

This is on very long lines but note the Black and white kite is the center of the wind window..

Once I got past it, momentum drops quickly. when coming back left to right I get nowhere near my original entry point before recovering and gaining altitude..

The inverted side slide is my favorite thing to do with a quad kite.

Yeaaah thanks for these videos. Indeed nothing beats work, patience and more work. I know what I have to do now lol. As for the figures, where could I find some sort of list with explanatory diagram? I know what you are going to tell me in due course, but I discovered the reverse slide completely by chance, and this while working my rotations😂 See you soon sportingly Stef

You can also add a little footwork to the inverted side slide. If you were to walk parallel to the kite and in the same direction of the slide, that keeps the kite closer to the center of the wind window and a consistent amount of pressure in the sail. 

Once while flying, a song came up in my playlist and the lyrics asked, "How long, how long will I slide?" Using the technique described above I easily traversed the width of a soccer field 😁

Hello, if I was walking I was doing it subconsciously. Because for me I found it easier to apply the right tension while remaining fixed. I can do it very well in both directions, but adding a rotation of 180 in between. Impossible for me for the moment to do it without this rotation. But I think I'll practice on small slides instead of wanting to go through it all at once. 🤔 🤣 Little by little ... Thank you for your advice, which I take with pleasure😁

Keep in mind the distance between your handles controls the speed of the slide, the brake line in front during the direction of travel controls the altitude of the kite. The trailing brake line controls the attitude or angle of the kite .

If you want the kite low and parallel to the ground:
front brake = how high (minor control correction)
back brake = how flat (Lots of little control corrections.)
Distance between handles = how fast (Watch the sail and if it starts to flutter slow down)

Keep in mind these controls swap when changing directions.

All that being said, once you get the feel for the maneuver, it will mostly happen without a lot of thought. Don't try too hard, incremental improvements are typically permanent improvements.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Hello everyone. Thanks to your advice and a lot of work, I finally made my first reverse slide. It is not perfect but here is 3 hours of work and it is there. I still lose altitude from time to time, which I corrected so early but I have the trick .... Thank you for your answer 😁😁😜

• Like 2

I am a little late to this but thought of this thread while I was out today. Quite some time ago I started playing with just skimming (more like sliding) the kite along the top of the grass from a rest, as far as I could one way, then reversed to the other.  All the while still on the ground, inverted. The movements I noted are mostly small pulls, a la dual line method. But after a bit could lift the tip of the kite with tiny wrist movements and that helped smooth it all out and release the kite if it got stuck in a tuft of grass. Fairly windy today around here, but even so found walking backwards slightly helped a bit at times.

May only work on grass, or at least that's all I've tried it on.  Forgiving and not too abrasive 😉

I do this from time to time on my quad sessions. Looks impressive if I do say so.

After some reps, move it up a bit, maybe dragging the rearmost end on each pass. (later: over water!). But the move may be a useful practice step.

On 6/13/2021 at 11:16 AM, Stef stef said:

If once I get to the right I turn 180 degrees again the reverse slide is OK for me.

Trying to picture this reference to 180 degrees but may be missing something. Do you mean 360 degrees? 180 would put it leading edge up to my way of thinking. (If it matters).

My side slides in general need work but I am just as good in either direction. The practice is much of the fun 😉