KiteLife Forum

Happy Father's day to me, a Sky Burner Fulcrum.

Outlaw

I bought myself an early Father's day gift, a Sky Burner quad-line Fulcrum.

I have been looking at them for a while and it really intrigues me. I also have the advantage of being 15 minutes from Kites and Fun Things store and the owner John Trennepohl who worked with Carl Robertshaw in developing this quad.

We get together with a group every week and fly at the local park.

I have been flying a Rev EXP, XX and XX Tarantula (still working on the basics). I also have a Prism Tensor 4.2 power kite if I'm looking for a good workout.

I put aside most of my dual-line kites for now and focusing on my quads

Looking forward to getting out with it this weekend, weather permitting. 

20210618_203143.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Just the look of that kite was enough to spark an interest. After seeing video of it in the hands of either of the Robertshaws, I pulled the trigger on buying the one that had been sitting a few years in my 'local' kite store. I imagine yours is the newest iteration... would you mind posting the length of your standoffs? It was my understanding that they may have been shortened since mine was made. 

May you have fair weather and an enjoyable maiden flight. The Fulcrum always seems to put a smile on my face each time I pull it out. 

I went into the store on Thursday and talked with John Trennepohl more about it, he had all the color sails to choose from. I wanted one with some contrast between the two colors to help with orientation. He's said to give him until Saturday and it would be ready, he needed to finish assembling the bridle, wing spines, cross spreaders and stand offs. 

To my surprise on Friday afternoon I got a call it was ready, couldn't get there fast enough. 

I got this with both frames, Standard and Ultralight. 

The stand offs you asked about are 7.125" long for both front and back. How long are yours? 

After he was done going through assembly and disassembly we sat down at the computer and showed me a bunch of videos of him and Carl in Italy. I was there for about an hour. 

Hope this helps. 

Frame Specifications

Outside Leading Edges Sky Shark p200
Main Uprights Sky Shark p90
Center Struts with T 4mm (0.156) carbon tube
Middle Battens 3mm (0.188mcr)
Main Middle Spar XLS 32.5"/82.5cm (UL frame Nitro Lite)
Stand-off - front side 0.125" fiberglass tube at 71/8"/180 mm
Stand-off - back side 0.156" (4mm) carbon tube at 71/8"/180mm
Bridle 200lb spectra core bridle

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 5:32 PM, Outlaw said:

Frame Specifications

Outside Leading Edges Sky Shark p200
Main Uprights Sky Shark p90
Center Struts with T 4mm (0.156) carbon tube
Middle Battens 3mm (0.188mcr)
Main Middle Spar XLS 32.5"/82.5cm (UL frame Nitro Lite)
Stand-off - front side 0.125" fiberglass tube at 71/8"/180 mm
Stand-off - back side 0.156" (4mm) carbon tube at 71/8"/180mm
Bridle 200lb spectra core bridle

Thank you for the information. My standoffs match those dimensions exactly 🤔

It has to be fun to be able to pick the brains of the builder in person. I first spoke with Jon over the phone when I was needing to replace a Fulcrum standard frame outer rod and decided to also get a full replacement set of standoffs. It was then that he mentioned shortening the back standoffs in order to take some stress off the outer rod. He also mentioned a new Fulcrum release in a smaller form factor. Since then I've seen (possibly Carl Robertshaw's Instagram?) a reference to a ".85" Fulcrum. Any mention of a new release? 

I enjoy talking with him and looking forward to his guidance with this new Kite, once he gets to know you he opens up.

He also mentioned that to me last Thursday, but no release date. I'll see what I can find out this Wednesday. 

I did see a prototype he had at the field a couple weeks back, no real wind to speak of so it didn't get much air time but it looked smaller. I was struggling with my Rev XX so I didn't get to spend time looking at it. Turns out the bridle on the XX got flipped around to the back side and didn't realize until I got home and compared it to my XX Tarantula. 

I'll keep you posted. 

• Outlaw changed the title to Happy Father's day to me, a Sky Burner Fulcrum.