KiteLife Forum

Need help with a kite - maybe a sting ray?

Brettgrant99

I bought a large number of kites a while back and am still going through all of them.  This one looks like a sting ray.  It may be home built, however, the build quality is quite nice.

It uses Revolution Advantage spars.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to assemble it.

Any ideas?  The tail spar seems straight forward.  The main spar doesn't make a lot of sense.  There are some small pockets for spars, but the Rev spars are too large to fit.

One of the rev spars looks like it has a dowel in it, I tried to tap it out, but it wouldn't move.  The other one is open.

There are vinyl tubing fittings, I am assuming that they are for the whiskers.  I have no idea what the tubes are with the red tape.  I thought at first ferules, but they are the same outer diameter as the rev spars.  I don't really know which is top and bottom, I just figure the bridle is the bottom of the kite (what we see from the ground).  Also makes sense to me that the eyes are on the bottom.

Any help would be appreciated.  Web searches seem to only find inflatable sting ray kites.

Thanks,

Brett

bottom01.jpeg

bottom02.jpeg

additionBits.jpeg

top01.jpeg

top02.jpeg

tail01.jpeg

wingtipEnd.jpeg

additionBits.jpeg

spars01.jpeg