KiteLife Forum

Gomberg Helix Spinner question

Outlaw

I posted in the advert section I am ISO a Gomberg Helix Spinner. Last Monday I stopped by my local kite store (Kites and Fun Things, John T.) and picked up some new line and we got talking, I asked about line climbers (poppers) and the helix spinner. John said he might have something and then grabbed a little blue bag off a rack in the back of the store, it was a popper with a couple of spars that had came loose from the base. He then grabbed another item from another rack that looked like the helix spinner, he wasn't sure if it was homemade or not. He said he was tired of it getting in the way so he said if I wanted them I could have them. 

I glued back in the spars back to the base and will give it a try with the next good winds. 

The helix will also need some good wind to to try it out. 

Here are some pictures of the helix spinner, can anyone tell me if this is homemade or a Gomberg item. The long cross bar is a 48"  3/8 wooden dowel and the two small end spars are a fiberglass type material with proper looking end caps. 

20210724_101319.jpg20210724_101332.jpg20210724_101325.jpg

Also which side of the wooden dowel should the white spar be on, one side was like in the picture and the other was on the other side of the dowel? I have also found a source for a 48" long 3/8 fiberglass rod to replace the wooden dowel but not sure if I should or need to. 

Went to the park this afternoon and gave it a try. Winds were 10-12 mph. Sorry for the shakey video, yoyo in one hand and phone in the other.

Thanks 

The fiberglass spar should lie next to the sail, as you have it! Just an educated guess, but if it has a wooden dowel, it’s not Gomberg’s, or the spinner is very old. Also, the colors are not Gomberg’s standard set. 

Don’t replace the dowel! It shouldn’t break, but if it does, you can replace it for under a buck at your local hardware store. The environment will thank you!

Nice video!

2 hours ago, GammoRay said:

The fiberglass spar should lie next to the sail, as you have it! Just an educated guess, but if it has a wooden dowel, it’s not Gomberg’s, or the spinner is very old. Also, the colors are not Gomberg’s standard set. 

Don’t replace the dowel! It shouldn’t break, but if it does, you can replace it for under a buck at your local hardware store. The environment will thank you!

Nice video!

Thanks Gammoray, 

I set it up with the spar next to the sail. Not an problem that it's not a Gomberg, it was free and it works. Looks like a decent copy. 

• Like 1