KiteLife Forum

Broke Lower Spreader

nus

So although the weekdays this week where no good for kiting I was able to get out there and enjoy the weekend trying to further my skills..... I think I completed my first axel (looked good to me atleast) however the stall that it came from wasn't quite expected but it all worked out in the end..... anyway after much flying this weekend I've managed to break my lower spreader on my acrobatx. Obviously I know I have to get a new one and that shouldn't be an issue, however here is my question.... Where i broke the spreader was toward one of the ends, so can I just cut the spreader to the size of my upper spreader so I have a replacement for that?

Hey NUS,

I would say yes, of course cut the broken spar down to match the upper, providing that the lower spar didn't splinter past the cut point. I've never broken an upper cross spar, but it can't hurt to have an extra. I'm sure upgrading your spars all together would greatly improve the kite, but if you're still at the point of breaking parts like me, I would just fix it and fly it stock. I get my repair parts from...

http://www.goodwindskites.com/

Either the upgrade parts that audioRob was talking about or stock replacements should be available from them.

~Rob.

I beleive they are the same so yes...

May as well spend the 30$ and get some better LS for the kite as well. p200 or 3pt will last longer and feel much better on the kite. you will need a new center T for either.

Thanks for the info... and since I really am a noob here, P200 and 3PT i'm pretty sure is a type of carbon tubing correct? how is it different and when you say "feel better on the kite" how so.... I'm considering your suggestion however I also think I'll end up breaking another spreader soon cause I'm still starting out....

Yes type of carbon tubing made by skyshark. Feel better in terms of less oversteer, more 'responsive' (when you give a firm input to the kite it will feel more reactive) and less breakage.

3pts do feel a bit better, but p200s will be nearly unbreakable on the acrobatx.

If your local shop does not have them, you can call the kiteshoppe, they have it and can make you an 'upgade kite' no problem :mf_crackegg:

Yes type of carbon tubing made by skyshark. Feel better in terms of less oversteer, more 'responsive' (when you give a firm input to the kite it will feel more reactive) and less breakage.

3pts do feel a bit better, but p200s will be nearly unbreakable on the acrobatx.

If your local shop does not have them, you can call the kiteshoppe, they have it and can make you an 'upgade kite' no problem :)

So I bought some regualr rods just to get my kite back in working condition however I'm looking into getting the p200 (they don't sell it at the kite place here). But my question is when cutting the carbon is there any tricks? I was told just to use a fine tooth hacksaw? Anything else I should be doing other then just cutting it to size?

A find toothed hacksaw works just fine. A dremmel works good too. Wrap your spar good and tight with a couple layers of masking tape first, this helps keep the splinters down to a minimum and also gives you a nice place to mark the spot you need to cut. After the cut you can roll the cut end of the rod on top of a piece of sandpaper to smooth out the end and help keep any splinters down to a minimum. Hold the rod at a 45 degree angle and give it a spin. For the ultimate, make a small blob of super glue and roll the end of the rod around once to coat it. Not really necessary but it does make a very nice smooth finish. Another trick for sanding the end of your spar is to insert the opposite end carefully into a cordless drill and as it turns, just hold the sandpaper onto the rod and it will sand it for you. This helps keep the sanding uniform around the entire rod and is very easy to do. Be careful to not crush the rod in the jaws of the drill.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.. I didn't even think of using the dremel... and the masking tape is a great idea... however I think i'll keep the carbon away from my drill chuck I would be one to break my new nicly cut carbon making it useless......