KiteLife Forum

Wow, I stink!

Jeff

I just bought my first sport/stunt kite. I recently saw a performance of the Chicago Fire kite team and some others, and was inspired to take up this new hobby.

I have no experience whatsoever, so I jumped right in with an Acrobatx. The wind was pretty poor, but I was anxious to just get the thing off the ground. So I guess I can mostly blame my failure on lack of wind. :mf_crackegg:

A couple times I'd get it launched, and it would just fall right back down with no breeze. When I did get a little sustained wind, I was all over the place. The conditions just weren't that good. It says on the packaging that it can fly in as little as 4 mph, but I'm not sure that's true.

Oh well, maybe tomorrow...

:mf_crackegg: It helps to blame the person downwind launching the kite for you (if anyone). After all, it usually is their fault! :huh:

Really though... it takes a bit to get the hang of it... and in poor winds, even longer. Rest assured, you WILL get it!

If you don't have someone to teach you, try purchasing the DVD" Freestyle Pilot". It isa very helpfull ,from doing basic things like launching and landing to some advanced stuff. You should be able to get it at any kite store. I think it runs about $19.99. It's well worth it. Also, I think that once you can control the kite, you will find that lighter winds will be better to learn in. Gives you more time to respond with the slower movement of the kite.. HAVE FUN !

Steve

:mf_crackegg:

Hey Jeff,

I found that the Acrobatx seems to have a heavy butt in a light wind. It is REALLY easy to fly in a 7-15mph breeze. Also, if the wind is gusty, don't bother, you want a nice, steady breeze. In a steady breeze, the Acrobatx will JUMP off the ground, and you'll be doing loops and figure 8s right off the bat. The videos are helpful, but don't watch too much too soon, get the basics down first. I have the Dodd Gross video, and he makes it look SO easy, but when you try what you remember from the video, it's another story.

I guess part of the appeal of flying is that it's pretty easy to learn, but will take a lifetime to master.

~Rob.

Thanks for the encouragement. I was just pretty impatient to try, and took it out even though there wasn't much of a breeze. I may just check out the video, although I do know I have to spend some time on the basics of flying. That, and I need to learn more about how these bridles are built. It came already done, which is nice, but I couldn't recreate it if I had to. I'm also going to see if there's a book or two with some gerneral useful information on that and tweaking the kite for conditions. The instructions that came with the kite leave a lot to be desired.

I'm fairly new to the game here but also have the Acrobatx... one thing that I've found is you really have to find a good location to get yourself started. Obviously a beach with the wind coming off the water has been the best flying I've had and can get the kite to stay up in the lighter winds, however in those same winds if I'm at the football field down the street from me that has a treeline along one of the endzones and sidelines, and then some other buildings/structures not to far away it's alot tougher to get the kite to stay off the ground, the wind seems to be alot less consistent, I blame it on the buildings and stuff but I could be crazy. The one nice thing about the lighter winds you can practice landing your kite alot more safely :)

BTW: Any of the more advanced peeps here feel free to correct me if I'm off base here.

Nus, you are absolutly correct about your wind observatioins. Obviously, as you stated, the best winds are the coastal breezes, but for us inland fliers (I myself reside in the midwest) finding "clean" wind is a definate challange. Obstructions create what can be called a wind shadow, much as light is blocked and creats a shadow, wind is blocked also. I can extend to a length approximately seven times the height of the obstruction. So, the larger your open area for flying the better off you will be.

Chris

I am also some what a newbee . But have chosen to look upon the unpredictible winds as a challonge The first time I took out my new nexus I had the same problem . Lite wind coudnt get it of the ground The second time I wated untill it was rilly blowing and found my self draged around :big_band: It was a blast.I do have several kites and trade of depending on the wind .Also it can be very frustrating to get the ajustments just right a little can go a long way also alitle off on one side can make your kite go squrley.Changing the lines can make a big difference too Good Luck Good Wind :)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good wind today, and went out at lunch to a nearby soccer field...I no longer stink! :rev_clockwork:

I was able to get that sucker flying. Did some steering around, some big figure 8's, some sharper turns, spinning one way, and then the other....very cool!

It gets me anxious to try the harder stuff, but a) I know I should get proficient with the basics, and b ) I don't know how to do any of that other stuff yet. :rev_clockwork:

Everytime you go back it gets easier and then for the next 20 years you can say, "Next year I'm going to get good" because you never have to quit learning on this kite.

I want to play more with the UFO too.

I heard Lee Sedgwick was flying it quaded with a steering well. How kewl would flying a quad be like that?

Enjoy~ :rev_clockwork:

BB

Penny