KiteLife Forum

NikNak / iNak

Dan

I'm looking at getting an indoor/outdoor kite for the no wind/light and variable wind that I've been trying to fly in. I'm doing my best to locate open fields around here, but not really having much luck with it. The conditions I've been working with really are no wind and light, gusty, variable wind. I can see the tree tops moving, but every where I've found to fly is just dead air.

I'd initially decided to get a Wren as I really do want a kite that just isn't that hard to keep in the air in no wind and the videos I've seen and discussion I've read about it supports that, but I heard some positive comments on the NikNak and iNak that got me looking at those kites. I've only been able to find a few comments about them at the various forums, but they all seem pretty positive. It seems like they can handle a bit more wind than a Wren as well, which I like as they could handle the few gusty puffs that come along every now and then. Not looking to get a kite right now that does all the tricks. Flatspins, axels, and just good flying would make me happy. Just need airtime at this stage of the game.

Was hoping anyone with experience on these kites could comment. The iNak especially. Can it really do the full 0-10 as it claims?

Thanks!

~Dan

Was hoping anyone with experience on these kites could comment. The iNak especially. Can it really do the full 0-10 as it claims?

I have a Nik Nak that I don't fly any more... It flys in the least amount of wind and in no wind at all if you are willing to move. If the wind is down to where I have to pull the kite out, I usually go home.

Not a bad kite at all. Just not a trickter.

If the kite does handle 8 - 10, you wouldn't want to fly it. Way too fast and the wingtip would be shaking away.

The I Nak is a bit smaller and suited for indoor flying. I don't think you would want to fly it in anything more than a couple mph.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking at getting an indoor/outdoor kite for the no wind/light and variable wind that I've been trying to fly in. I'm doing my best to locate open fields around here, but not really having much luck with it.

~Dan

Hi Dan,

I was looking for the same thing. Just became aware of the Inak last week. I hope to fly one out doors tomorrow if the wind is down and the owner shows up.

How much are you willing to spend? How much are you willing to work - trotting backwards vs standing and using your arms. I saw a video of the CDC Stx 1.8 and the guy was doing some great things but trotting, almost running backwards to make it happen. Go to http://aubert.pauline.free.fr/ and select 1.8.

On the other hand you see some of the videos here are kitelife and they move a bit, but not like the 1.8.

Here are some more sights to deal with what you are trying to find. Take a moment and read through them:

http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1597

http://www.kiteconnection.com/ubb/ultimate...ic;f=6;t=000063

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1025&st=0

Hope this helps

I have not found much about the Inak online yet. Maybe reviews will come in the future.

Jim

JOHN!!

Help!!

Do you know why the link Jim posted to TKS forum is not working?

T

It is bigger than this link. On your web page, I can get to the forum page, even to a sub topic, but the individual topics will not come up. I have checked several sub forums and this is a consistent problem. Hope it is only an indexing problem...

I started having some trouble late last night. One way it would give me this error, other ways it would work.

The other sections of you web sight seem to be fine.

Might want to check for the usual virus type stuff.

Oh, T, have you got a ballpark figure on the wso sul - need to know if it is even in my budget.

Thanks

Jim

Thanks for the help, Jim. I've really expanded my kite bag recently, adding 5 kites: Prism 3D, NikNak, ZeroStar, Sano SSL, Rev 1.5 SLE. So, I think I'm all set. :rev_clockwork:

BTW, I found the NikNak and 3D very easy to keep in the air, though the conditions were much better than I've had in the past. Probably a steady 2-3 mph. However, I think I'm really starting to get the feel of rowing the kite - pulling in the turns and relaxing in the glides.

Cheers,

Dan

I'm not making fun of anyones kites but every time I read about NikNak it reminds me of this groaner....

A frog goes into a bank and approaches the teller. He can see from her nameplate that the teller's name is Patricia Whack. So he says, "Ms. Whack, I'd like to get a loan to buy a boat and go on a long vacation."

Patti looks at the frog in disbelief and asks how much he wants to borrow.

The frog says $30,000.

The teller asks his name and the frog says that his name is Kermit Jagger and that it's OK, he knows the bank manager.

Patti explains that $30,000 is a substantial amount of money and that he will need to secure some collateral against the loan. She asks if he has anything he can use as collateral. The frog says, "Sure. I have this," and produces a tiny pink porcelain elephant, about half an inch tall. Bright pink and perfectly formed. Very confused, Patti explains that she'll have to consult with the manager and disappears into a back office.

She finds the manager and says: "There's a frog named Kermit Jagger out there who claims to know you and wants to borrow $30,000. And he wants to use this as collateral." She holds up the tiny pink elephant "I mean, what is this?"

So the bank manager looks back at her and says: "It's a knick knack, Patti Whack. Give the frog a loan. His old man's a Rolling Stone."

I'm sorry....

Working on the problem now. :)

Thanks John!

Next step....I e-mailed my travel bud, and asked him if he has the time to fix it. He had the original data base when www.wmowners.com split off from tks and flew on their own :)

And a BIG thanks to Dave (geezer) and Jay today!! :) I'm now re-routed at the shoppe! :)