KiteLife Forum

Hampton roads, VA flyers?

cotturj

I’ve done some searches and most post are pretty old and since a lot of Hampton roads contains transient people due to military and contracting I thought I’d start again. 

looking to see if there are any locals. I’m in Chesapeake but anyone from VA Beach, Norfolk, Hampton, Suffolk, Portsmouth and even north eastern NC chime in. I don’t know anyone who flies but would really like to see if there are people around on here. 

thanks and hope to hear from some of you!

-John

1 hour ago, riffclown said:

I have a couple of places but many times I 'll go down your way to fly with a few fliers closer to your area..

I was looking to see if there were people in the area that fly and are looking to fly with new people. As well as where exactly people might fly, when they might meet up etc.

I  personally go to The Langley Speedway parking area, on base or Riverview Farm Park when flying local. I sometimes meet other Fliers down near Currituck and fly there.
My favorites places to fly are Corolla, Jockeys Ridge or the Wright Memorial though.

2 hours ago, riffclown said:

I  personally go to The Langley Speedway parking area, on base or Riverview Farm Park when flying local. I sometimes meet other Fliers down near Currituck and fly there.
My favorites places to fly are Corolla, Jockeys Ridge or the Wright Memorial though.

Thats great. I've flown at jockeys Ridge as well. Never really thought Corolla would be a great idea at least on the beach due to traffic but I guess there are spots that wouldn't be too in the middle of the crowds. I thought about the Wright Memorial but that didn't seem like a place people would pay and start flying kites around the tourists. 

Maybe by chance we'll see each other around one day, thanks for the responses. Hopefully some others will chime in and maybe want to fly together.

Hey Cotturi, 

I am in Currituck, and have flown with Riff ,, and a couple other local quad line flyers, I am hoping to meet up with them sometime soon to fly again maybe you can join us. Weather is starting to cool enough to where it it will be comfortable and fun. 

Ej

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ejay said:

Hey Cotturi, 

I am in Currituck, and have flown with Riff ,, and a couple other local quad line flyers, I am hoping to meet up with them sometime soon to fly again maybe you can join us. Weather is starting to cool enough to where it it will be comfortable and fun. 

Ej

Sounds awesome. Let me know when and where. I would really like to meet some other flyers. 

Im very ready for some Fall weather.  Maybe not so much winter but some cool days will be nice. 

Cotturj, do you know of any good wide open public places to fly in Chesapeake ? We have flown at the YMCA here which is pretty good if the wind is from south. Riff have you chatted with John lately, wonder if he is still flyin?

Ej

50 minutes ago, Ejay said:

Cotturj, do you know of any good wide open public places to fly in Chesapeake ? We have flown at the YMCA here which is pretty good if the wind is from south. Riff have you chatted with John lately, wonder if he is still flyin?

Ej

I really don’t. I try at the Chesapeake city park all the time but the wind is generally terrible. You need like a 15mph wind to get 3 on the ground. It’s like being in a bowl or something. There can be great wind above but you can’t get any of it. I’ve tried to scout lots of places but the tree line surrounds most places making wind either 0 or so turbulent you can’t fly and actually have fun. I wish I could find more places considering where we live but the beach and Mount Trashmore (even that isn’t always good) are the only places I’ve ever seen decent consistent wind. The only kind of sure thing is the beaches depending on wind direction East beaches or the north (bay side) beaches. 

im confident if I could just find a place that was open enough like a farm you’d probably have great wind almost everyday here.

On 10/5/2021 at 5:41 PM, Ejay said:

Ej

TBH, I haven't chatted with nearly anyone lately.. It's been a crazy few months.

Got my RX spider going today out are Centerville Park in Chesapeake. Its a huge place with a lot of soccer fields that is normally really busy with Soccer kids but when they aren't there its empty.

Really gusty glad I had a vented kite with me. I had tried Mount Trashmore earlier in the day and got soaked but what can you do.

1 minute ago, riffclown said:

I tend to go past Va Beach and Norfolk.. I fly south of you more often than those areas by a very wide margin...

Lol 8 miles south of centerville park is North Carolina but you know that. Where do you go down that way if you don’t mind, other than OBX.